Revolver powders

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Pustic

Re: Revolver powders

Post by Pustic »

For now I only reload for one revolver caliber, and that's .45 Colt, and for that I use Trail Boss.
Am I paranoid? Nope, I'm heavily armed!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

In that case it is impossible to have an overload, book load or not.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

GasGuzzler wrote:In that case it is impossible to have an overload, book load or not.

.... unless you compress the TB and crush the powder ....

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
techiej

Post by techiej »

Trail Boss, AA#5, Bullseye have all worked very well for me.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

In the 45 Colt I use TB for my fooling around load and H110 and Lil'Gun for the serious stuff. I want to work up some TB loads for the 44 Magnum rifle I don't shoot the Contender that much any more.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:In that case it is impossible to have an overload, book load or not.
Some body will always find a way.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:In the 45 Colt I use TB for my fooling around load and H110 and Lil'Gun for the serious stuff. I want to work up some TB loads for the 44 Magnum rifle I don't shoot the Contender that much any more.

Make smoke,

I've found that 6.5 - 7.0 gr of Trail Boss work well in my 20" R92 44 mag, and worked well in my formerly owned Ruger Super Red Hawk. Depending on bullet profile I think the 7.0 gr is near (just not quite) the max load to avoid compressing/crushing the powder and possibly having an undesired event while shooting. It's a very manageable, lower velocity load.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Zee33

Post by Zee33 »

I'm using 7.0gr of Titegroup in my .357 using a 125gr. CJHP

Just a side note :
I saw someone's post in here revolver vs. rifle as far as powders and velocity. In order to get a closer number to find out what the velocity is using revolver load in a rifle is , when working a load using say hodgons load data , they give a working load barrel length at the top of the load data. Rule of thumb is adding 40fps per inch of barrel .
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I load for both the 357 and the 45 Colt for both the Rossi '92s and the two Black Hawks and I tend to shoot close to the same loads in both although I tend to back off a little on the revolver loads vs the rifles. Arthritis in the hand and wrist will only stand for so much pounding. For hunting H110, LilGun and 296 with heavy bullets. For fun lighter bullets and either True Blue or Trail Boss. Follow one or two good manuals and have fun.

Make smoke,
Ohio, what sort of True Blue loads are you using..?

I'm looking for paper-punching loads in my .45LC R92, and just bought a tub of True Blue to try... I'm currently using Ramshot Zip, its accuracy is ok, but I think that powder is a little fast for a 20'' carbine, and the slower powder my be better..??
I'll be using 250gn RNFP lead...

thanks,

Daryll.