Bolt stuck closed after removing pin

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
73gitane

Bolt stuck closed after removing pin

Post by 73gitane »

This is my first attempt at disassembling my R92. I removed the stock, tang and hammer just fine as well as the bolt pin but the lever will not drop out because the bolt refuses to open. It opens about an 1/8" and that's it. This seems pretty bizarre. All the videos I've seen show the bolt and lever moving pretty easy and the lever pretty much falling out once the pin is removed.

I then reinstalled the pin making sure it was flush with the bolt so it would not hang up. I had to work the lever a bit before it would cycle properly. I then removed the bolt pin again but experienced the same problem of the bolt refusing to move.

Anyone know what is going on?
Last edited by 73gitane on 05 Jul 2019 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Nashville Stage

Re: Bolt stuck closed after removing pin

Post by Nashville Stage »

That's interesting... So to clarify: once you reinstalled the pin, the bolt & lever cycled fine?
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

After reinstalling the pin I had to work the action a bit before it would cycle. I then removed the pin again and encountered the same issue with the stuck bolt. Just for fun I then reinstalled the pin (making sure it was flush with the bolt) but now it refuses to cycle after working the action like I did before.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

So Here's where I am today:

Rear tang removed
Hammer removed
Magazine tube removed
Bolt pin removed

Lever will only move far enough to expose the locking bolt stop pin screw. I do not have access to the locking bolt pin.

The bolt will not move far enough to allow the lever assembly to drop out.

What could be stopping the bolt from moving rearward?
Nashville Stage

Here are a couple of thoughts:
- Since you have the magazine tube removed and can see into the receiver, make sure the cartridge lifter lever is down and there's nothing on top of the lifter that might be jamming the bolt in place.
- It's possible that part of the ejector assembly (ejector, spring, or the little collar) might have broken or fallen down below the bolt and is causing the jam.
- Tilt the rifle muzzle-up and see if the firing pin is moving freely, able to protrude outside of the rear face of the bolt. One of the things that the lever does as it starts to cycle is it forces the firing pin rearward. If the firing pin is stuck forward, that could cause a jam.
- Try running the bolt/lever in various positions, and then tap the receiver with a non-marking hammer to see if anything shakes loose or shifts enough to free the jam.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

Thank you Nashville Stage. I can say that the lifter is down as it should be and I don't hear or see anything rattling around between the lifter and bolt. Also, the firing pin does move freely.

I did some pounding with a rubber mallet while trying to move the lever. I never found the sweet spot that would free things up.

I can't imagine this being helpful but I've thought about removing the screws that fasten the lifter and guides. Don't worry I'm not going to do that:^)

Can things really go so awry with a R92 that it's not possible to remove the bolt and lever?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that you started moving the bolt but stopped, my bet is on the parts with the second item NS highlighted. Particularly the ejector collar. See if they is any movement of the ejector on the bolt face.
Michael
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

Thanks Ranch Dog, space is limited since the bolt only opens about an 1/8th of an inch but I can see the ejector and it's pressed up against the muzzle. I can also pry it and move it into the bolt. So it seems that assembly is OK.
Nashville Stage

Just double-checking: The pin that locks the lever to the bolt is completely removed, correct? That pin could be what's jamming the bolt in place.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

Yes that's correct. The pin is completely removed.