Iron Sight and Scout Scope Combo

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
8uck5nort

Iron Sight and Scout Scope Combo

Post by 8uck5nort »

This is my inclination after doing some digging on the internet. I would appreciate some feedback if anyone has this particular set up or parts of it good and bad.

The carbine. M92 16.5 inch 38/357

Use: Shoot it for fun and deer hunting out to 150 yards in wood lots and over open fields given the range limitations of a good hunting round in 357 mag. I have a Ruger 77/357 that has taken it's share of deer so I have a understanding of what the 357 can and cannot do.

Philosophy of Proposed Set Up: I am a big believer in rifles and carbines with a readily accessible set of iron sights even when using a scope as the primary sight system. Always be prepared and have a backup. I also believe the iron sights should be readily accessible in the field without use of tools or minimal use of a simple tool. Quick release, etc.

Proposed Set Up:
1. NOE scout scope mount. Means I remove the existing Buckhorn sight.
2. Burris 2.75 scout scope w/QD rings.
3. XS peep mounted on bridge behind locking lugs. This means removing the goofy safety. :D
4. XS front sight replaces the factory front blade.
5. Uncle Mikes Sling hardware
6. Good leather sling or strap.

Primary Concern or Question:
1. Is the XS sight able to "see" over the top of the NOE scope mount once the scope is detached?

So have at it. Endorse or tear it up. Let me know what ya think.
Trying to improve myself one shot at a time!
8uck5nort

Re: Iron Sight and Scout Scope Combo

Post by 8uck5nort »

OK lets try uploading the pic again...
SAM_8321_redux.jpg
I knew I could not be the first one to come up this set up. Was doing some more digging and ran across this image. It looks like the sight line is above the scope rail...

This be the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trying to improve myself one shot at a time!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I endorse your philosophy. The NOE rail is certainly taller than the one pictured. I have a Swift scope on my 44, with quick-ish release CVA Durasight rings, a Marbles tang sight and a Williams front bead. I use the bolt safety almost exclusively for unloading, and I like it for that purpose.
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

My .45 carbine has a NOE rail. The Williams receiver sight with Williams FireSight front are plenty high enough to see over the rail when I remove my Burris 2.75 Scout scope. I've also had a Burris FastFire 2 on the Rossi.

I sighted the scope in just yesterday. Groups at 75 yards were 2"; at 200 yds they held at 2.25". These were heavy hunting loads-250 gr XTPs, 240 gr XTP mags, and 225 gr Barnes PBX bullets over a healthy dose of LilGun.

As does HarryAlonzo, I use the bolt safety when unloading the magazine.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

9x80Drilling wrote:My .45 carbine has a NOE rail. The Williams receiver sight with Williams FireSight front are plenty high enough to see over the rail when I remove my Burris 2.75 Scout scope. I've also had a Burris FastFire 2 on the Rossi.
Which Williams sights are you using?
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Years back had a Marlin 336 in 32 Win. Special with a "Tip Off" (hinged) scope mount. Had a firm spring latch on each hinged part that well locked the scope in shooting position. In just 5 seconds scope could be rotated to the left out of the sight view. Had a 3x scope which served well.

Tip Off I do not think is the real name for those... but they were hinged to the base that attached to the receiver top.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Did some fishing about the E pool. Base I had was the Redfield Swing Over. Looks like at least 4 others (Weaver, Tasco, Leupold and Pachmayer) made their own model.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Ranch Dog wrote:
9x80Drilling wrote:My .45 carbine has a NOE rail. The Williams receiver sight with Williams FireSight front are plenty high enough to see over the rail when I remove my Burris 2.75 Scout scope. I've also had a Burris FastFire 2 on the Rossi.
Which Williams sights are you using?
RD the Williams sight is aluminum, mounts on the left side of the receiver, and has 20 gradations (graduations?) marked for adjustment of elevation. It is set on the forth lowest mark, so not very high. I have a Williams ghost ring disc installed.

Sorry, I don't remember what model it is named. I can certainly find that out for you if you like. It could be as simple as looking on Midway or Williams websites. I believe the Williams FireSite is .5" tall.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

9x80Drilling wrote:Sorry, I don't remember what model it is named. I can certainly find that out for you if you like. It could be as simple as looking on Midway or Williams websites. I believe the Williams FireSite is .5" tall.
Next time you look at it, see if there are any markings on it, please. The Williams website is worthless for trying to find anything.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I contacted XS to get the heights of their sights. I'm using the XS system on a majority of my Marlins.
Michael