Fixed my .357's feeding problems

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
dalek

Re: Fixed my .357's feeding problems

Post by dalek »

Quick reply: if/before youtube takes it down, consider full30
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

dalek wrote:Quick reply: if/before youtube takes it down, consider full30
No idea what you're talking about.....
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

rondog wrote:Thanks! I hope they help someone.
You are the man! +guns
I discovered that all along, what I thought was cartridge guides were needing to be shimmed, was wrong. My cartridge stop spring isn't installed correctly - it isn't doing anything!

Of course, I discovered this upon inspection at the range today, when I took my new/old Marlin .35 out as well.

The Rossi 92 feeds .357 no problem, just can't stand the .38's. Now, to tear it apart and get it running right!

I very much appreciate this tech video tutorial series. Thanks!

Adam Lee
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

alphalimafoxtrot wrote:
rondog wrote:Thanks! I hope they help someone.
You are the man! +guns
I discovered that all along, what I thought was cartridge guides were needing to be shimmed, was wrong. My cartridge stop spring isn't installed correctly - it isn't doing anything!

Of course, I discovered this upon inspection at the range today, when I took my new/old Marlin .35 out as well.

The Rossi 92 feeds .357 no problem, just can't stand the .38's. Now, to tear it apart and get it running right!

I very much appreciate this tech video tutorial series. Thanks!

Adam Lee
Happy to help! Be sure the stop swings over far enough to catch the .38 rims (video 3). And FWIW, Steve's Gunz answered my email, saying that his next step would also be filing more clearance on the stop, so that it swings over far enough. That made me feel good!
alphalimafoxtrot

rondog,

I'm baffled as to why these Rossi 92's are not better checked on this during assembly. I now completely understand why Rossi rifles are NOT in the same price point as Henry lever guns, for example.

If Henry lever guns loaded with a gate, instead of a tube, I'd be all over them like you know what!

But again, I thank you for your detailed videos that clearly show what's going on and how to take care of the problem. I did take a careful look at your final video, and once I take my gun apart and measure the contact angle where the stop hinges, may file those places to enhance the stop function as you demonstrated.

I even took a screen shot of how the stop should function from your final video. Can't tell you how happy I am to have found this out!
rossi 92 bullet stop.jpeg
Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Yer makin' me blush! But the stop probably doesn't need to come over as far as mine does, I probably overdid it a bit. Just make sure it comes over enough.
alphalimafoxtrot

My .357/.38 Rossi 92 is finally able to feed and eject both rounds after taking my left side guide out of the rifle, and flipping the gate spring to its correct side. Making sure the spring made positive contact within the hinge of the gate was key to my success. There wasn't a need to knock out the hinge pin and do any filing, in my case, so far.

I am certain that if these springs were even only 0.100" longer, it would help even more without gumming anything up. But that's just my 2 cents. I've attached a schematic of a 92 for reference - the spring in question is number 22.
rossi-m92-diagram.jpg
What can I say? Very excited to have tested function with 6 dummy .38's, 6 dummy .357's, and then mixing them all up for a final check.

Every round loaded, ejected, and behaved as it should. Next stop, Myrtle Grove WMA this weekend? Hope so!
Again, glad to have seen your helpful videos and read your tips, Ron!

Adam Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

rondog wrote:WOO HOO! SUCCESS!

Great that you were able to diagnose and correct the feeding problem. My M92 has some 38SPL feeding hang ups. and even some 357 when the bullet is smaller (130 vs 158 grain). I end up removing the tube spring to relieve the pressure on the jammed cartridge so I can get it out. I can see on mine that the cartridge stop is not moving very far. I'm new here so forgive my ignorance, but is there a video someone here can point me to that shows how to properly get that cartridge guide out so it can be modified to let the cartridge stop lever swing in farther?
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Conformist wrote:

Great that you were able to diagnose and correct the feeding problem. My M92 has some 38SPL feeding hang ups. and even some 357 when the bullet is smaller (130 vs 158 grain). I end up removing the tube spring to relieve the pressure on the jammed cartridge so I can get it out. I can see on mine that the cartridge stop is not moving very far. I'm new here so forgive my ignorance, but is there a video someone here can point me to that shows how to properly get that cartridge guide out so it can be modified to let the cartridge stop lever swing in farther?
Well, the bullet/cartridge guide itself is only held in by one screw, but you pretty much have to take most of the rifle apart to get it out. Once you have the guide out, there's a small pin that has to be gently driven out with a very small punch in order to separate the cartridge stop itself from the guide.

Then it's just a matter of a small amount of careful filing on the bevels of either the stop flapper or the bullet guide, whichever you want to work on. I'd take it slow and check your work frequently, to make sure you don't take off too much and make the stop swing over TOO far.

Forgot to mention - search on YouTube for videos on working on Rossi 92's, there's quite a few videos that tell how to take them apart and reassemble them, as well as tune them up.
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

rondog wrote:
Conformist wrote:

Well, the bullet/cartridge guide itself is only held in by one screw, but you pretty much have to take most of the rifle apart to get it out. Once you have the guide out, there's a small pin that has to be gently driven out with a very small punch in order to separate the cartridge stop itself from the guide.

Then it's just a matter of a small amount of careful filing on the bevels of either the stop flapper or the bullet guide, whichever you want to work on. I'd take it slow and check your work frequently, to make sure you don't take off too much and make the stop swing over TOO far.

Forgot to mention - search on YouTube for videos on working on Rossi 92's, there's quite a few videos that tell how to take them apart and reassemble them, as well as tune them up.
Yeah, I should have thought about youtube before. I'll it a look-see. Thank you.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.