Dissassemble Amadeo Half Octagon Barrel Rifle?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mi2600

Dissassemble Amadeo Half Octagon Barrel Rifle?

Post by mi2600 »

I picked up on older 24" 92 with a half octagonal barrel. The furniture could use some TLC so I proceeded to remove the stock and tried to remove the forearm. However, I found the front barrel band screw was FUBAR. My next brainstorm was to drill the head off the belligerent screw and remove the front sight mounted atop the barrel band and open the band enough to remove it. The front sight is secured by a small pin. Of course the pin is a reluctant participant.

Pin removal on American-made guns usually is front left to right. However, this was made in Brazil. Has anyone successfully removed that pin? Is there a secret?

Also, how is the magazine tube mounted? Is it just pressed in? Or, is there some secret Brazilian method?

There's a myriad of Youtube videos on the action itself. Nothing on disassembly of the rest of the gun.
mi2600

Re: Dissassemble Amadeo Half Octagon Barrel Rifle?

Post by mi2600 »

Thanks for ALL of the replies. They were a big help.

Anyway, I succeeded in disassembling the entire gun. This is an early Amadeo Rossi. The machining is excellent, compared to the new ones that have all the machining gouges inside. My first Rossi was a rock grinder that required hours of very exciting smoothing. With a new spring kit this one should be a good asset.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mi2600 wrote:Thanks for ALL of the replies. They were a big help.
I suspect that no one here has worked on the Amadeo half octagon, very few A. Rossi rifles seem to be dissected here.

So what did you find concerning the disassembly? Anything to share with others?
Michael
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

mi2600 wrote:I picked up on older 24" 92 with a half octagonal barrel. .
OP, I'd sure like to see a picture of this gun, when your done of course. I don't think I've ever seen one of these.
mi2600

Post by mi2600 »

OK, I thought the front barrel band, which had the front sight mounted on top, might spread enough to release tension on the barrel and mag tube if the front sight was removed. However, on closer inspection, removing the sight would not do anything. Option# 2 was to drill the recalcitrant screw located in the middle of the barrel band. To make a long story short, I ultimately found that the bottom of the barrel is notched on the lower side for the screw to hold the band in position. It is NOT a tension matter!
After removing the screw, the barrel band slipped off. I found the mag tube apparently is simply snugly fitted against the frame and not fitted inside. The rear tube end is just tapered.
So far, I've got the wood off and stripped. I had to iron out some dents, etc, but there is a small area on the forearm that refused to fully cooperate...well it's an old gun.
The internals disassembled without problem, but they were beyond dirty. Q-tips and some Hoppe's took care of that.
FYI, I was able to locate the barrel band screw and the mag plug screw from Jack First. He has a small offering of Rossi parts. Expensive, but if needed... I also ordered new springs from Brownell's.
Current status: Waiting.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 17 Jul 2018 06:16, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added link to Jack First Gun Parts
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have one of the few originals on here but it's a standard barrel so I didn't guess for a reply. Although I tore mine all the way down, I did not remove the sight from the band.

CLICK HERE to read the story on mine.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you for the information. I went ahead and added a link to Jack's in your post and retitled the topic so others might find it.
Michael
mi2600

Post by mi2600 »

Gasguzzler, I read your interesting thread. I think if you removed the saddle ring, you would still have the ghost ring mark. I can't think of a solution for that. I have a Win '92 with a saddle ring that someone wrapped the ring with what appears to be something akin to black yarn. Maybe not the ideal solution, but it stops the rattle and prevents further marking. I tried 1/8" black para cord, but it was too clunky (technical term).
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

mi2600 wrote:I think if you removed the saddle ring, you would still have the ghost ring mark.
Yes, I would. I added a singly tied leather lace to the ring.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.