OMG! What have I found?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

OMG! What have I found?

Post by rondog »

I just left a LGS, where I found this rifle. It's a Puma, in excellent shape, albeit kinda dusty. It's a .44-40, blued and CCH. It appears to be an 18"-20" carbine, but has a heavy octagonal barrel and a forearm cap, no barrel bands like a carbine. Also has a crescent buttplate, also CCH.

It's in the consignment rack, but has no price. The guy said that means it's not processed into their system and ready to sell yet, and to give it a week. You can bet I'll be calling much sooner than that!

So what is this thing? A Short Rifle? I've been trying to buy a 20" stainless Rossi 92 in .357 from this other guy, but he's terrible at communicating and I'm getting the "feeling" the deal isn't meant to be. Now I've stumbled onto this .44-40 Puma, which is a HELL of a lot more interesting to me!

Can't upload pics, says they're too large.....
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: OMG! What have I found?

Post by Mad Trapper »

Excellent find.
Whats the phone number to that LGS, :D
+guns +guns +guns
I would be on it for sure.
Be nice if they would let you put down a deposit, sort of hold it for you.
I would be calling every day.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

I need to find out for sure what it is, and a value for it. The tag says "Mfg : LSI, Model: Puma M92". Don't know who "LSI" is.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

rondog wrote:I need to find out for sure what it is, and a value for it. The tag says "Mfg : LSI, Model: Puma M92". Don't know who "LSI" is.
Legacy Sports International.

Essentially an importer of Rossi 92s ten to 20 years ago or so.
I recall seeing Pumas and Rossi (Braztech) rifles side by side in the gunshops for a while there.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/956608184/R ... 57-MAG.htm

http://levergun-scoundrels.com/thread/4 ... a-92-44mag
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Archer wrote:
rondog wrote:I need to find out for sure what it is, and a value for it. The tag says "Mfg : LSI, Model: Puma M92". Don't know who "LSI" is.
Legacy Sports International.

Essentially an importer of Rossi 92s ten to 20 years ago or so.
I recall seeing Pumas and Rossi (Braztech) rifles side by side in the gunshops for a while there.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/956608184/R ... 57-MAG.htm

http://levergun-scoundrels.com/thread/4 ... a-92-44mag
Ah, thank you sir!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

rondog wrote:I just left a LGS, where I found this rifle. It's a Puma, in excellent shape, albeit kinda dusty. It's a .44-40, blued and CCH. It appears to be an 18"-20" carbine, but has a heavy octagonal barrel and a forearm cap, no barrel bands like a carbine. Also has a crescent buttplate, also CCH.

It's in the consignment rack, but has no price. The guy said that means it's not processed into their system and ready to sell yet, and to give it a week. You can bet I'll be calling much sooner than that!

So what is this thing? A Short Rifle? I've been trying to buy a 20" stainless Rossi 92 in .357 from this other guy, but he's terrible at communicating and I'm getting the "feeling" the deal isn't meant to be. Now I've stumbled onto this .44-40 Puma, which is a HELL of a lot more interesting to me!

Can't upload pics, says they're too large.....
Concerning the pictures, see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4719&p=57994#p57994

Nice find, I wonder why the wait?
Michael
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

This shop specializes in milsurps and antiques, and has tons of inventory. It's a very small place and quite crowded. I imagine consignment stuff kinda gets a back burner, and this rifle isn't really in line with their focus.....

It's just like the one at the very top right in this pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nvbirdman

Post by nvbirdman »

I sure hope they price it right for you.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

nvbirdman wrote:I sure hope they price it right for you.
Thank you sir! I do too.

I found out today why it's not priced. Somebody inherited a bunch of guns and brought them all in to sell on consignment, but had no idea what to price them at. So the shop is going through all of them and appraising each one, so the owner/seller can have an idea what prices to put on them. I let the shop know I was interested in that one, and to please keep my info handy and let me know when it's priced.

I hate the idea of people selling guns they inherited, but it keeps them in circulation for the rest of us. At least they didn't go to a pawn shop for drug money, or to the cops to be destroyed.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

rondog wrote:This shop specializes in milsurps and antiques, and has tons of inventory. It's a very small place and quite crowded. I imagine consignment stuff kinda gets a back burner, and this rifle isn't really in line with their focus.....

It's just like the one at the very top right in this pic.
Rondog, it looks like the same R92/357 I have from Rossi, 20" oct blued barrel, Case hardened receiver, butt plate and forend cap. It's a short rifle. I got it about 3 years ago from buds, The price was $509.00, if that helps.
I hope your able to get it.