Scope or Open sights?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.

Scope or Open sights on a lever gun

Scope
31%
No Scope
69%

Total votes: 29

mulescj8

Scope or Open sights?

Post by mulescj8 »

I'm a no scope guy on a lever gun, just prefer the open sights and looks of a striped down lever gun. What do you prefer and why? +guns
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Scope or Open sights?

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Looks like 100% for scopes. I like this voting thing.

I, too, was once an iron sight purist. But I came to realize that the full potential of the pistol caliber carbine is not realized without a little magnification. Appearances be damned.

With a Picatinny rail, you don't have to commit. On my 92, I can mount a scout scope or a red dot, or leave the rail bare and flip up the tang sight.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Looks like 100% for scopes. I like this voting thing.
When I voted it was two no and one yes.
HarryAlonzo wrote:With a Picatinny rail, you don't have to commit.
Not so fast. Neither my Rossi SRC92 nor my Marlin 336RC waffle top are drilled and tapped from the factory and they never will be.

Cowboys didn't use scopes and I don't shoot my levers to eat.

Just say NO! +corn +guns
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

I just voted for no scope - but here's the caveat: I think any lever gun that came from the factory designed to use a scope should be used as such. Guns like the Browning BLR, Henry Long Ranger, Savage 99 come to mind.

My feeling is that the "traditional" profile lever rifles such as our 92's/94's/pre-tapped era 336's just look right in iron sights.

Of course, here I'm voting "no" and simultaneously voting "yes" - :mrgreen:

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

I put no scopes as ive yet to mount one but then again ive never had a scipe on anything since i was a kid with a $20 optic mounted on my Daisy pump pellet gun

Wifey wants to mount one though so when we get srttled i guess ill be learning to do that
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Scope guy. My R92s are used strictly for hunting. The hunting of any critter here in South Texas, at least 90% of the activity, is in that 30 minutes before sunrise or 30 minutes after sunset. Even in the good daylight, the Rossi sights are poor against a gray animal with a backdrop of the gray brush. I 99.9% of my feral hog killing is at night under ambient moonlight, or with lights, open sights are useless in these conditions.

I know that Rossi has to put something on the rifle, but their setup is as cheap as it gets. The Daisy BB gun I keep on my bench, a current manufacture rifle, has better sights than the Rossi. I mean that. I used the Skinner peep on my 357 Mag, and it was very nice, but it removed it from the hunting rotation because it was unusable at night. Personally, if I was going to use my R92s as daylight hunters, I would take the time for the XS Sights installation. I use them on a number of scout rifles and the sights are good up to dark. XS might have discontinued them, I'm not sure, and they do require drilling and tapping a threaded hole on each side of the receiver near the aft edge. Not something for the owner to do unless you have the equipment and knowledge not to goof it up.

This will turn the stomach of you open sight only guys, all of my scope bases except the 357 Mag are JB Welded to the barrel. All of my rifles except the 480 Ruger are the Rossi mounts that I problems with the cheap screws failing after they wallowed the holes in the mount out (because of the poor grade of aluminum Rossi used). The 480 Ruger is a custom base, and the gunsmith would not do the work if he could not glass or JB Weld the base to the barrel. This guy does and is noted for his scout mounts, so he knows what he is doing. He is currently making a scout mount for a 45-70 Govt bolt action I own. My 357 Mag uses the NOE Base with a very good grade of aluminum and screws; I haven't had a problem with it coming loose.
Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I clicked no scope because I am a klutz, did i spell that right.
If i mounted a scope, first time out i would trip,fall, slide down the hillside,and land on top of my new scope, or whats left of it.
Was watching the rifleman the other day.
He had a scope and mount, looked like it just slid on the barrel with a half round mount, probably a hollywood gimmick.
Wish i had a pic
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

My old SRC92 has different sights than the new models. That doesn't help with the light or hunting issues but they're great on soda cans and paper.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I prefer no scope on a lever gun but cannot see well anymore so I need one for beyond 50 yards.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

No scope for me. I have a Steve Gunz peep on my R92. I removed the aperture and use the outer ring as a Ghost ring for low light situations.