Need help with ejection problem

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Whiterook

Need help with ejection problem

Post by Whiterook »

I just traded into a real nice looking R92. After taking it to the range I believe I found out why someone traded in this rifle. It won't kick up the cartridges into the breech. I've broken it down and polished all moving surfaces and stoned the rough casting areas. I put it back together and the action is slick as a wisker but you have to rack it hard to get the cartridge to pop up to feed.
ANY AND ALL INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. IF I AM LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND SOMEONE THAT WOULD WANT TO TRADE I AM NOT GOING TO PASS ON A FLAWED RIFLE.
THANKS GUYS
FRED GORDON
Fred Gordon
Nashville Stage

Re: Need help with ejection problem

Post by Nashville Stage »

Can you clarify? You mentioned ejection issues, but then asked about feeding issues. Is it having problems with both, or was one a typo?

The first thing you'll want to do is load up some dummy rounds & grab a strong flashlight. Really slowly, cycle the action & look inside at the same time to see at what point in the cycle things go awry. Once you've done that we can start to narrow down the list of suspects to look at & troubleshoot.

Also, browse through this sub-forum & the "DIY gunsmithing" sub-forum; they're full of great write-ups & pictures from others who have solved problems on their rifles.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Whiterook,

The thing that makes the "carrier" flip up and raise the round, is the bump on the lever, just in front of the forward trigger guard section.

Study these cutaway pictures compared to your rifle, and it should be easy to figure out.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=833

I'm curious as to what the previous owner did to make this not work?????
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm not a fan of polishing everything and would rather use gun oil and manipulate the action to let the parts work themselves to a fit:
  • I spray oil into the receiver and use compressed air to spread it everywhere,
  • work the lever and drop the hammer with my thumb a 100 times,
  • flush the receiver with non-chlorinated brake cleaner followed with compressed air, and
  • repeat the above five times at a minimum or whatever it takes for the brake cleaner flush to be clear.
  • Once the rinse is clear, spray oil again and remove the excess with compressed air.
Hopefully, the horn on the forward part of the lever was not worked down.
Michael
Whiterook

Post by Whiterook »

I found the problem, or thought I had found it. It's cured anyway. I read someones listing of ejection problems and checked the direction of the spring having removed it during an earlier disassembly for clean up and smoothing some rough forging areas. I reinstalled it with the curve going in, even though the Winchester 92 diagram shows it curve outward. the problem is cured and it now as a real smooth action. Now to find a new home for it.
Fred Gordon