Best scope mount for .480 model 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Shannon.Deese

Best scope mount for .480 model 92

Post by Shannon.Deese »

I’m debating putting a scope on my model 92 chambered in .480. Who makes the best mount that does not require any permanent changes to the rifle. Also who makes a sling mount that doesn’t interfere with the opening in the magazine tube? Thank you for any and all info.
Shannon.R. Deese
USMC "Ret"
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best scope mount for .480 model 92

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had a custom scout mount made for mine. The only acceptable non-permanent mount might be the Pearson mount (also a scout mount). You would want to contact them with the barrel outside diameter to see if it is going to work out as the barrel is a greater diameter than the that used on the standard cartridges.

My rifle is the only 480 Ruger I've seen with a scope mount and if I had to do it over again, I would have had the gunsmith drill & tap the receiver for the XS Sights Ghost Ring and front sight (LG-0001-5)
Michael
Shannon.Deese

Post by Shannon.Deese »

Thanks for the info.
Shannon.R. Deese
USMC "Ret"
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think my scope mount ended up costing me as much as I spent on the rifle.
Michael
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Ranch Dog, would an NOE scope rail be an option? I know you mentioned that the diameter of the barrel is larger than what's milled on the NOE rail, but how far off is it? At 1/10th the price, it might be worth it if the gap between the barrel & the rail isn't too large, and maybe some slightly longer screws would make it work.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nashville Stage wrote:Ranch Dog, would an NOE scope rail be an option? I know you mentioned that the diameter of the barrel is larger than what's milled on the NOE rail, but how far off is it? At 1/10th the price, it might be worth it if the gap between the barrel & the rail isn't too large, and maybe some slightly longer screws would make it work.
The 480 Ruger barrel also has a different taper and it is not drilled and tapped. So, my guess is the NOE will not work.
Michael