Getting There with my 30-30 Win

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Getting There with my 30-30 Win

Post by mr surveyor »

After dealing with some physical issues for the last couple of years, I'm finally getting back to serious tinkering with working up some decent loads. Since getting my first R92 .44 Mag several years ago, I had a buddy to put me on to the LeadHead Silhouette 265 gr GC bullets. The meplat isn't as wide as I would like, but they feed perfectly, no lead issues, and have proven to be accurate. The late, great powder shortage hit about the same time I was experimenting with the LeadHeads so I was pretty much down to using the best powder available, which was AA#9. Although my mentor told me a long time age that most of my revolver needs could be handled well with either Unique or A-2400, I ran out of both at the same time they became as scarce as Fairy Dust. The AA powders, #5, #7 and #9 became my go to powders and have worked well, but a few months ago the good old A2400 became locally available again and I knew it was time to get back to the .44 Mag loads for the Rossi. I loaded up some test rounds for the LeadHead 265's with 18.3 gr 0f A2400 and with 18.5 gr of A2400 the last week of November last year. Today was the first decent weather day that I could find the time to take them to the range, but didn't have the time to take the Chrono this trip.

I've gotta post this one target pic of the 18.3 gr load .... oddly enough, the 18.5 gr load had about a 3 inch spread. But, I'm looking for accuracy for this load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting There with my 30-30 Win

Post by Ranch Dog »

You found a very good load with some great shooting JD!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice work and I am glad your getting back at it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

1400 would be about where your running..
I wouldn't change anything, and I wouldn't care what the speed was.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I took the afternoon off to go to the range, although it was 55°, it was drizzling/misty and 99% humidity. Not the best range weather ... but it was still range time. This time I took the chrony and a stash of the .44 mag LeadHead and 18.3 gr of A2400. The main reason for the trip was really to test some 30-30 loads, but the .44 mag loads are still my main interest. I put five of the 18.3 gr of A2400 through the chrony for an average velocity of 1488 fps. The one 10 round group I shot (with the chrony safely out of the way) was still encouraging, although a vertical spread of 2.3 inch and horizontal spread of 1.9 inch .... 50 yards from the bench and a shooting bag rest. Some of that is obviously me, and some I would definitely blame on the weather conditions. But, I have a desire to get back to tinkering with the A2400 loads now. I still think they will get down to 1 inch at 50 yards if my brain continues to heal :)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good to hear that you can get some trigger time! I have two 44 Mags, a Marlin and my Rossi that I've been prepping for range work. The load is good for my Win 94 Timber Scout, but I do need to sight in the rifle's ghost ring.

What 30-30 Win do you own?

I couldn't stand it anymore and ended up getting my SMLE Scout wet, same weather here.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I have a 1973 vintage Marlin 336 with a Nikon Prostaff scope. I got it from my running buddy about 25 years ago, and he had gotten it in the early 80's from the original owner that had carved his name year on the butt stock. About 10 years ago I stripped the gun down and sent the metal off for re-finish and I did the wood with Danish Oil. Before the refurb and scope change (originally had a Bushnell Sportview 4X on "shoot through" rings) it would put factory Rem Core-Lokt 150's to POA=POI, 1" at 100 yards from a shooting bag rest at the bench. Shooting the Rem C-L 170gr always tended to consistently open up to near 2 inches. Trying 8-10 different brand names, bullet weights, profiles still resulted in the Rem C-L 150's being the most at consistent accuracy.

I didn't start reloading for the 30-30 until January of 2013, and components in my neck of the woods were extremely hard to find. The best bullet option my ffl buddy could locate was the Sierra ProHunter 170 gr FP and I settled on IMR 4320 to begin with. Finding Rem Core-Lokt bullets has been a problem, but recently another friend supplied me with (what he estimated as a couple hundred) box of C-L 150's. Finally, having the Rem C-L 150's and a pound of IMR 4895 I had what I needed to build the "famous PapaJohn" load. So yesterday I took the time to put together 10 rounds, 5 for accuracy target and 5 for chrony. I was hoping this load to look like the "old days" of the 1 inch group, but had no idea of what to expect on the velocity. With the very limited number of rounds, I clocked them at average speed of 1977 fps and a total group spread (5 rounds) of Vertical 0.9" and Horizontal 1.6". If I could take out the one "flyer", the 4 shot group shrinks to a Vertical of 0.9" and Horizontal 0.6".

If I knew that the 150 grain Rem Core-Lokt bullets would be readily available, I'd most likely tinker the scope in so POA=POI. The accuracy/velocity of my loads, to me, isn't established until 40 to 50 rounds have been looked at as spread out on different days and conditions. That makes me realize how few of the Rem C-L bullets I have left'

It's all good though :)

jd

jd
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

That's a good .44 load with the 2400. I wouldn't hesitate to take it elk hunting - revolver or lever.

The .30-30 loading that has worked well for me for decades has been a 150 gr. Speer FP or similar Hornady in front of 34.5 gr. of H4895. I'm sure it could be tweaked for IMR4895 or AA2495 with equally good results. I used the load for both deer hunting as well as for the old "run what ya brung" lever action silhouette matches - before the match became highly stylized with custom levers.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It sounds like a very nice rifle JD. The only jacketed bullets I shot with a 30-30 Win was the Hornady 170-grain FP Interlock. My dad's Win 94 and my '54 Marlin 336A both loved the bullet with BL-C(2). I loaded up 1K a long time ago, and we had very few left but switched to cast bullets about 15 years ago.

If you are looking for that Remington Core-Lokt, MidwayUSA has them in a limited supply (<1K). This might be it for awhile given Remington's financial problems.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I use Sierra part number 2000 when I load .30-30 jacketed.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/pro ... -150-gr-FN
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.