New Guy mtwarych

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Deleted User 4461

New Guy mtwarych

Post by Deleted User 4461 »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is mtwarych, I live in the beautiful state of Montana on the west side in the Bitterroot valley. I live in the most perfect place I could live in.

I have been in the shooting sports since 1976, I fish, hunt, reload and participate in most of the outdoor type activities. I enjoy shooting and plinking the most.

I purchased a Rossi M92 chambered in 44 Magnum Tuesday of last week. In the last week I have been very happy with my purchase to very upset about my purchase.

This is what happened.

A gunshop called The Axeman South has a handful of M92's in stock and I wanted to get a new rifle for Bear and Deer this year. I looked at four 357 Magnums and four different 44 Magnums and decided I wanted the prettiest, well fit 44 Magnum. (I have taken both Deer and Bear with my beloved Ruger Redhawk 44Magnum) Anyway, I paid my $489.00 and out the door I went with my new toy. I haven't fired my Redhawk for many years now due to bent up, broken hands so I drove by the closest bullet shop and bought 100 rounds of 44 Magnum Cowboy action semi-wadcutters. I was planning on learning the rifle before starting to reload 44 mag again.

My son and I get to the Whitticar rifle range and set up a target at 50yds out and set up to sight the rifle in.

First shot hits centered left/right but is 8" high. No biggie. My second shot doesn't hit paper and I figured I had better settle down and shoot correctly.

I load 5 rounds into the magazine to shoot a group and see where it is at. I don't look at my target between shots, I try to concentrate on firing five good shots.

I take a peek through the spotting scope after 5 good shots and I am heartbroken to see five rounds that are key-holing. It figures, I get the one really crappy shooting Rossi.

I called the gunshop to see if they would allow me to exchange the rifle if after inspecting the rifle, we find something obvious causing the knuckleballs.

The gunshop told me they would not exchange the rifle but they would send it back for me if something was found. I drive an hour North back to the gunshop and a group of people start looking the rifle over comparing it to other Rossi's they had on hand. There was no doubt I purchased the best looking, well fit rifle.

After about 10 minutes of looking and inspecting the rifle, The shop gunsmith askes me what kind of ammunition I was using. I told him"Armscorp 44 Mag Semi-wadcutters Cowboy Action" I found out I had purchased 100 rounds of pure crap.

I purchased a box of Fiocchi 44mag magnum soft points and went back to the range the next day.

We set up a 50yd target again and fired one shot. Dead center left/right, 1 1/2" high from POA. I felt some real hope. I loaded 5 rounds and shot them out without looking at the target again and when I looked through the spotting scope, I had a nice six shot group dead center right/left and 1 1/2" high. Shooting of a bench with bags, The group was a tight 3"

I am thrilled. I am very happy with my M92. My M92 shoots as well as my sons SS M92 chambered in 45LC.

I am really looking forward to Spring Bear season this year.

Thank you for reading my post and I hope I can get the help and knowledge that I am going to need from this forum.

JW
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Guy mtwarych

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you found the problem! The rifle can only shoot as good as the ammunition does!
Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Hi mtwarych,
What barrel length is your 44 mag rossi?
I have to say, my rossi 44 mag in 16" is so smooth, reliable,fast handling and accurate, that it is the first thing I reach for when I hear a bump in the night.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome!
Deleted User 4461

Mad Trapper,

I purchased a 20" rifle, I didn't see any Rossi rifles shorter than that in the gunshop.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

20" be the best choice.
Ive got a 20" also, they can be habit forming.
I like shooting 44 special cowboy loads like the Rifleman.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good news and welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Howdy from South Carolina, and welcome to the forum.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Welcome aboard. You'll ind that the '92s have a rather slow twist that can contribute to problems with some loadings. That said I can stabilized 180s out of the 357 and 300s out of the 45 Colt without problem so far.

They just plain fun rifles.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Deleted User 4461

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I appreciate the replies and the welcome to the sight.

Thank you.

JW
Semper Fi