Cartridge stop spring installation?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Cartridge stop spring installation?

Post by rondog »

How is the cartridge stop spring supposed to be installed? I just took my .38/.357 apart, and the "tip" of the spring was against the side of the receiver. Is it supposed to be pushing against that hinged cartridge stop instead?

Rifle cycles .357's just fine, but with .38's it jams up, the next round in the mag comes on out too. The stop isn't stopping them.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Cartridge stop spring installation?

Post by rondog »

Ok, I found a video on YouTube that cleared it up! That Aussie or Brit feller that has a few Rossi videos.

Discovered the spring curves outward, away from the cartridge guide and towards the side of the receiver, but the tip of the spring goes UNDER the cartridge stop! Feels like it fits into a notch that I can't see. Assembled that back into place, and lo and behold - the stop is now properly tensioned and it stops cartridges from exiting the magazine like it's supposed to! Awesomeness!

Now, onward with the cleaning, deburring and polishing. Rifle shoots good, but has the usual roughnesses that need smoothing. And the barrel needs to be tightened just a couple of degrees, the sights slant just a skosh to the right. I can see the top flat of the octagonal barrel slants just a wee bit too. Doesn't need much, but I may have a gunsmith do it so I don't bugger things up, since I'm a bench vise and crescent wrench kinda guy.....
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Cartridge stop spring installation?

Post by akuser47 »

I am glad you figured it out and thank you for sharing. It's been so long since I tore mine apart I really didn't remember the orientation of the spring. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!