Alternate calibers for ARs?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
GasGuzzler

Re: Alternate calibers for ARs?

Post by GasGuzzler »

6.5 and 6.8 have out of this world pricing on magazines, components, factory ammo.

300BLK is not cheap but it's half the price of the 6's and better than half as "good".
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

How about a 6mm Mongoose? Anyone have any experience?
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Mad Dog Weapons Systems has developed an interesting cartridge, from my observation, for the AR platform. It's named the .277 Wolverine and is not far off the performance it appears from the 6.8 spc. The cool thing is it is formed directly from .223 brass, with some trimming, and it can use regular 5.56 magazines with no follower modifications. Should make it a whole lot less expensive shooting option for a .270 caliber AR.

Additionally, Starline Brass has announced it is marketing brass for this wildcat.

https://www.maddogweapons.com/277-wolverine.html
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I guess it depends on what you are going to do with the gun.
I've also remarked magazines are something we used to feel one or four were enough and didn't sweat it much. Now it seems we start with four to six as a baseline and go up from there.

6.5 mags from C-Products/ARStoner and ASC are typically $10-$20 each. Reviews seem a little mixed with some folks reporting flawless function and others reporting they run great 4-5 rounds or less. There have been at least a couple different manufacturing changes to both the ASC and C-Products versions which may muddle the waters a bit regarding which work better.
Alexander arms mags run about $20 directly from them in various capacities. Heavy steel body construction and reviews are typically very good.

Likewise 6.8 SPC magazines are also available from C-Products and ASC for around $15-$20 each.
Probably the very best 6.8 SPC mags are from PRI. At ~$35 a pop they are not inexpensive but they work.

6.5 Creedmoor I think uses a standard .308 mag. These can be had from around $20 to $30 from various manufacturers including MagPul, DPMS and others.

50 Beowulf apparently can use just about any AR-15 mag. Here in CA there's some additional requirements but nothing special required.

7.62x39 again seems to be mostly C-Products and ASC. The C products I've used so far have worked well.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Arroyoshark wrote:Mad Dog Weapons Systems has developed an interesting cartridge, from my observation, for the AR platform. It's named the .277 Wolverine and is not far off the performance it appears from the 6.8 spc. The cool thing is it is formed directly from .223 brass, with some trimming, and it can use regular 5.56 magazines with no follower modifications. Should make it a whole lot less expensive shooting option for a .270 caliber AR.

Additionally, Starline Brass has announced it is marketing brass for this wildcat.

https://www.maddogweapons.com/277-wolverine.html
Could be interesting. I'll have to check out the performance hit or the pressure differential between it and the 6.8.

I do have to admit I wonder about all the proliferation of calibers that 'do almost the same exact thing as ____' Having seen lots of calibers come and go it seems as if it's only accelerating. It's not that long ago that we went through the short magnum craze followed by the super short magnum craze. Both of which seemed to me to be mostly designed to sell gun periodicals to tell us we had to have them at the same time they sold the guns.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Archer wrote: Could be interesting. I'll have to check out the performance hit or the pressure differential between it and the 6.8.

I do have to admit I wonder about all the proliferation of calibers that 'do almost the same exact thing as ____' Having seen lots of calibers come and go it seems as if it's only accelerating. It's not that long ago that we went through the short magnum craze followed by the super short magnum craze. Both of which seemed to me to be mostly designed to sell gun periodicals to tell us we had to have them at the same time they sold the guns.
Corporate development of new calibers or mainstreaming some wildcats can appear to be more about capturing another niche market for products. Wildcatting calibers seems to be an abiding pass-time for die-hard enthusiasts. It can be good for the sport or it can be just whiling away our time.

I've dispensed pills from mini-14's for years before personally finding the platform kind of boring and inflexible. The work and expense of modifying a mini-14 to another caliber wasn't appealing to me so got rid of the mini's. Building up an ar 15 has been fun and much more satisfying. I'd now like to modify to something other than .223. The 6.8 spc is a neat round, but components are too pricey for me. The 6.8 was not derived from a common brass case. The possibility for simply re-barreling an ar to 6mm, 6.5mm or 6.8 mm using resized, trimmed .223 cases and appropriate buffer is considerably easier fun. The 6.8 x.223 conversion is intriguing, having only recently become aware of it.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Finally have my adjustable gas block for the 12.7x42 on order.
SLR was out of the one I needed for the past couple months.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas block is AWESOME!
EXCELLENT looking part that should work very well and has a very sweet low profile.
Adjustments are from the muzzle end and you don't need to come in from the side on it for a set screw lock.

Hopefully I can get around to building up a couple three uppers in the next month.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Hoping to have all my stuff here this time next week.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Oldman11

Post by Oldman11 »

My son has a .458 socom that he is proud of.