Brought a Rio Grande and worst fear realized

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Brought a Rio Grande and worst fear realized

Post by pricedo »

Duncan.........do the basic tune-up routine outlined numerous times on this forum....stripping, parts cleaning, removing machining burrs and polishing, lubricating, reassembly and you gun should run like a Swiss watch.
Take your time and if you are unsure look for help on this forum or one of the other umpteen online sources.
Be careful cause if you remove too much metal it won't grow back.
Your gun should be slick as greased lightning when you're done.
It's not rocket science or brain surgery.......just applied common sense.
Just burn the word association ROSSI = TOOLS into your mind.
Many if not most Rossis need a little TLC to blossom into really fine rifles.
That's why you pay $400 for a Rossi and $1500 or more for the "blue chip" brands.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Brought a Rio Grande and worst fear realized

Post by Centaur 1 »

pricedo wrote:Duncan.........do the basic tune-up routine outlined numerous times on this forum....stripping, parts cleaning, removing machining burrs and polishing, lubricating, reassembly and you gun should run like a Swiss watch.
Take your time and if you are unsure look for help on this forum or one of the other umpteen online sources.
Be careful cause if you remove too much metal it won't grow back.

Your gun should be slick as greased lightning when you're done.
It's not rocket science or brain surgery.......just applied common sense.
Just burn the word association ROSSI = TOOLS into your mind.
Many if not most Rossis need a little TLC to blossom into really fine rifles.
That's why you pay $400 for a Rossi and $1500 or more for the "blue chip" brands.
Heed pricedo's advice about going slow, but don't get discouraged. The Rio Grande/336 design is not as complicated as you would first think. Don't think of it as a chore, but rather a learning experience to better understand how your new rifle works. Rossi uses a lot of MIM (metal injection molded) parts in the manufacting of the Rio Grande. MIM parts are by no means inferior to machined parts, the metal is just as strong and tight tolerances can be held more consistantly than with machined parts. The downfall is not with the parts, but rather Rossi's lack of removing burrs and sharp edges. Since your Rio Grande is the stainless steel version, rebluing isn't needed when you're done deburring and polishing. If you read back through my previous posts you'll see that I was also discouraged with my Rio Grande at first. It took some work, but it's now slick as butter and I know my rifle like the back of my hand. Good luck, go slow, ask questions and keep us posted on your progress. Most of all, welcome to the Rossi Rifleman.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)