92 Eye relief

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GSB4243

92 Eye relief

Post by GSB4243 »

Does somebody know what the standard eye relief distance is on a 92? More specifically a 454, but I can't imagine it is much different for any of them.

Thanks in advance.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: 92 Eye relief

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Not sure what you mean by eye relief with iron sights. I've seen the term applied to scopes.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

Guess my clarity was lacking... I am talking about scopes. Seems scout scopes come with different eye relief distant and so when mounted on a 92, my guess is there is a fairly standard distance from where your eye is when your cheek hits to where the scope begins. Perhaps that distance is somewhat negotiable depending upon rail type and what not. I am really unskilled at this and perhaps don't even know the question to ask, but it seems paramount that the eye relief be right and I just wondered if there was a pretty standard distance for that on a 92.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Weaver K4 Classic Scout that I shoot is listed as having 9.45" of eye relief. The Intermediate (IER) or long eye relief (LER) scopes that I have shot have had similar eye relief. I have tried some pistol scopes, and typically they have a bit more eye relief, for shooting with your arms extended rather than folded back holding a rifle.

I tried the Bushnell Elite 2-6x 32mm - Multi-X Handgun Scope but it didn't work out, I couldn't see through it. The eye relief is listed as 20". In comparison, the Bushnell Trophy 2-7x 36mm Scout lists an eye relief of 8". I have one of those that I bought for my Savage 11 but didn't care for the variable on a scout. The eye bell is so far forward; I think a fixed power scope is better suited for scout use. The field of view at the higher magnification was very small, and your eye must be well centered with the center of the scope to see anything.

I have 15 rifles that are configured as scouts, all of them wear the Weaver K4 Classic Scout.
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Figure that the back of the scope will be even with, or maybe an inch back of, the breach. Measure from eyeball to breach, subtract half an inch, and that should be your target eye relief.
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

Thanks for the inputs!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I used the NOE rail and the Weaver K4 Scout Scope that Michael suggested on my R92 .44 mag and have been really pleased. Unfortunately the whole year of 2016 was a bit of a downer for me physically so I pretty much had to put it all on hold, but in August of 2017 after having recovered some and then getting a bit of eyesight "fix", things began to get back on the uptick. Finally being able to comfortably shoot again, the K4 really started to prove itself. The eye relief is as good as it gets, and it's certainly worth the price. That is certainly a scope worth trying.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!