Making a Glenfield Model 60 Family Heirloom

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
SaltH2Odeprived

Making a Glenfield Model 60 Family Heirloom

Post by SaltH2Odeprived »

Over the years I have modified/restored several Marlin and Glenfield 60s for family members. One really nice Glenfield Squirrel Stock Model was purchased at a gun shop and restored for my nephew. This year that nephew had his first child, a boy, and he asked me to find another Squirrel and fix it up for when his son becomes of age. I'm thinking OK, I've got plenty of time.
Well, my nephew found and bought a 1975 Glenfield Squirrel that had some issues, the biggest was an extra hole someone had drilled into the stock and hammered a 3/8 in hex nut into. I covered the hole by inlaying an Indian Head Penny that had belonged to the child's great grandfather. To go with the theme, I applied some copper colored baked on VHT Engine Enamel. The stock was stripped bare and refinished. Brass pillars were installed, receiver was bedded and barrel pressure points added to front of forearm to improve accuracy. Bolt was polished, action springs and recoil buffer replaced. Magazine loading slot was rotated to the right side for easier loading.
For good luck, hairs from Deer, Coyote and Squirrel was glued between the stock under the butt plate.
I have sent this Squirrel on to its journey with the next generation.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
ethang

Re: Making a Glenfield Model 60 Family Heirloom

Post by ethang »

A model 60 just like that was the first rifle I ever purchased on my own. Mowed lawns for a couple weeks to get the money together. I still have it and will be passing it on to my grandson when he comes of age. Nice job on that one.
Plastic has no soul...
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Beautiful, what a great heirloom!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bought one new enough to have the LSBHO and old enough to still have the long barrel and long magazine tube (1988 model) for a song a couple years ago. Looked to have been shot maybe 400 rounds of dirty bulk and never cleaned. Also had a layer of yacht on the wood and metal. Here's how it turned out.

For y'all serial number folks this ones starts with 123456
Last edited by GasGuzzler on 08 Jan 2018 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

looks really nice +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice and a great touch with the hairs!
Michael