Ejector guide pins

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Paraord

Ejector guide pins

Post by Paraord »

Hey Everyone! Long time no see and Merry Christmas!

I hadn't messed with the 92 in quite some time as I had been favoring my 45-70 to the point where I was talking about selling it to a friend. As I was talking about it he says to me "Hey, I think you are biting on your own sales pitch here" and he was right. I went home and started emptying brass but it wasn't cycling great as the ejector was protruding out about a coil or 2 length out of the bolt. Course that didnt stop me from shooting about 100 rounds and loving it even in single shot mode. I had to search my memory bank but I did have this issue a while back so I pulled it, disassembled, reassembled, shot, repeat a good 5 times until I remembered that darn ejector guide. It had just enough slop to let the whole shebang come out.

So I pulled the pins which was no issue. Darn things nearly slid out once started. Calipers have them at .058". So now I am on the hunt for new ones or a few pins at .058, .059 and .060. Anyone have a source or a few rods they could spare to cut my own? Most places Ive found have a min buy of 10 pieces at 6 inches each. Id be able to repin darn near everyone's 92 on the board if I did that.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew -M92 44 Mag 20" Oct Barrel with just about every possible problem fixed-Western NY-
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Ejector guide pins

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I'm lucky enough to have an On-Line Metals warehouse within driving distance. I buy drill rod for such applications. If you have access to a well stocked tool & die retail shop, you should be able to buy single drills for cheap (or small packets of drills). The same shop might sell single gauge pins, which are more likely to be stainless, if you're particular. Good luck!
Paraord

Post by Paraord »

Drill rod eh? I might have a line on some. Thanks for the tip! Ill let you know how I make out
Andrew -M92 44 Mag 20" Oct Barrel with just about every possible problem fixed-Western NY-
Paraord

Post by Paraord »

Well I tried some but it didn't work. But then I looked at 2 center punches and it clicked. KISS. What if I just use a center punch to swedge it up that half a thou? Well sure enough it worked. Hopefully this will help someone with a similar problem one day.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks!
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Fine solution!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If it gets it done it is gtg, and plus side is now we have another solution for the future in case anyone needs it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Paraord

Post by Paraord »

Update. Seemed to work for a while. Going to get a 1-72 tap and some hex set screws. The two pins will be taken out and replaced with slightly larger 1-72 grade 8 or set screws, and I am thinking adding a third set screw location inbetween the current two. Not in a hurry to get it done, Ill order a tap from grainger this week though.

Anyways I figured I would resurrect this old thread due to new info and ideas. Not sure the strength of those pins but I gotta imagine grade 8 will be acceptable. Especially with the potential 3rd position.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I need pics. I'm a caveman.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Paraord

Post by Paraord »

Well I opted for roll pins. drilled out the forward pin holes on the ejector guide which you can see the roll pin in the pics. It was previously a little sloppy and would allow the ejector guide to wiggle, then the actual ejector would have JUST enough room to slip past the retaining pin.
The rear pin and holes remained tight with no wiggle. This tightened up the ejector guide significantly. I am going to try it with this modification, and square up the ejector spring collar surface on the guide.

Hopefully this makes sense with pictures..

This photo, although taken after the sloppy pin was fixed shows the previous condition. The red dots would basically move up and down allowing that ejector to slip past and eventually come right out of the bolt.

This whole thing actually showed itself as failure to load issue because the ejector was further out of the bolt and not allowing the next round to properly chamber. If this works I should have addressed just about every possible issue a Rossi can have, and will end up with a reliable, accurate, deer killin machine. Fingers crossed.

She seems mighty sturdy now. Ill do a little quick shooting when I get home and report.