Rossi 92 Hammer lock?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
m-saunoras

Rossi 92 Hammer lock?

Post by m-saunoras »

Forgive me if this is been discussed here before but what years or models did Rossi put on a hammer lock just like the Taurus revolvers?

I saw a stainless 92 44 mag a gun show early this year that I though I spotted a blue little dot on the back of the hammer but I never got to see it up close. Then a few months ago I bought a NIB 92 357 mag stamped 2017 on the receiver but it does not have any lock.

The tang safety I'm well aware of but what's the deal with this mystery lock? I don't get to see many Rossi's in this area.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Rossi 92 Hammer lock?

Post by golfish »

Its stamped 2017 on the receiver ? I think the earliest 92 I have is from early 16, it has the hammer lock, block on it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

m-saunoras wrote:Forgive me if this is been discussed here before but what years or models did Rossi put on a hammer lock just like the Taurus revolvers?
The Taurus Security System has been installed on all the Rossi long guns since Braztech purchased Rossi in 2008. In that year only the Single Shots were offered, with the TSS but when the R92 returned in 2009, they had the TSS. It is really strange that it doesn't have the lock. The TSS on my rifles is almost not visible as they are so low on the radius of the hammer, at half cock they are hidden. Can you get a picture of your hammer? You said that your rifle is "stamped" 2017, does the serial number search yield the same information?
Michael
m-saunoras

Post by m-saunoras »

I thought the same thing about not seeing the lock at half cock so I checked my hammer all the way down. It doesn't seem to have one. The serial number lookup doesn't show anything
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the photos. That is a puzzle, I tried the serial number in lookup but it didn't pull up a record. No telling what Rossi is up to.
Michael
m-saunoras

Post by m-saunoras »

I don't know either. This gun is a mystery, it showed up in new gun shop that just opened a few months earlier. I have no idea how they got it. The biggest retailers in the area have no Rossi's of any kind.

I am so glad I acted on it though. It looks and shoots wonderfully.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Is there a mechanical/geometric difference between the fit of the old style "no-lock" hammers and the new hammers with the "lock"? If not, that could possibly explain both why you don't see many new offerings and why this one may have been assembled with a mix of remaining parts available at the factory.

just my guess

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:Is there a mechanical/geometric difference between the fit of the old style "no-lock" hammers and the new hammers with the "lock"? If not, that could possibly explain both why you don't see many new offerings and why this one may have been assembled with a mix of remaining parts available at the factory.

just my guess
You know JD, that was my guess as well, I just didn't express it. The hammer is the same, I think it is just drilled and taped for the plug. If the 92 line continues, it wouldn't surprise me if small steps like this and drilling and tapping the barrels are eliminated.
Michael
Blue

Post by Blue »

I see this "Taurus Safety System" on my hammer.

How does it operate? I see nothing in the manual that mentions it, nor is it shown in the exploded parts drawing.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I just looked through the box and found a small notice describing the TSS, but I have never seen a key and thoroughly checked the box thinking I might have missed it in one of the folds, but no key was found.

I gotta say I'm glad my 92 shoots and operates very well, as Tauras/Braztech seems pretty half-ass, judging by this omission of the key and the lack of details in the exploded parts drawing.