poor accuracy

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Re: poor accuracy

Post by GasGuzzler »

You got a 9mm '92 with a LOOOOONG chamber then.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
3sharps

Post by 3sharps »

Well, I went to Cabelas and got myself a Henry thinking that it might shoot better. Not really. I loaded up some jacketed bullets 5.7 grains of titegroup, 158 Hornady. Both guns gave me less than 2 inch groups at 50 yards. That tells me that my cast bullets aren't very good. I have 2 moulds, 1 takes a gas check and the other doesn't. They both are 150 -158 grains swc. What is everyone else shooting? My Sharps aren't this fussy.
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

Slower powders, good case fill. Push em.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Also try a bit bigger bullet I shot 180 grain bullets in my 357 20 inch it does well pop can accurate at 50 yards
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Cast 158 should easily take the pressure needed for 1150 FPS in that gun. The GC'd bullet should take a lot more.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Personally, I would get away from the SWC profile in a rifle. The SWC is made to fill a cylinder and a forcing cone not a tapered throat of a rifle. You need something with ogive to fill a throat.

Your .355" slug just doesn't sound right to me. I have slugged a bunch of Rossi 92 357 Mags plus both Rossi & Taurus revolvers and a Single Shot and never seen a diameter that small. The slug should be a pure lead, teardrop, fishing sinker, with a hole through the lateral axis. That fishing line hole will relieve the pressure behind the compression. I've seen solid slugs, bullets, and all other efforts deliver inaccurate measurements. The slug should be measured with a macromonomer, not a caliper.

I would also start with a gas checked bullet, that removes additional variables and get away from Titegroup. Use a powder that provides a better case fill.
Michael
3sharps

Post by 3sharps »

Okay, first I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I might have found the answer. I loaded up 9 rounds with 3 grains of green dot, 158gr swc. At 40 yards they made one big hole! I might have been trying to drive them too fast. I will have to get my chrony out when the weather gets better and check my velocity. At 40 yards it shoots to the same point as my 5.7 grains of titegroup with 158 Hornady bullets. I am happy now!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good to hear
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!