Ranch Hand discontinued?

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Post by GRV01 »

Lol that would be rich (and we would have to be too!) if the Rossi Riflemen Board of Directors got together for a buyout of the Rossi line, and got the company back on track!

Anyway, as for the Ranch Hand i mentioned before i searched high and low and bought a 357 when i found it and sold it a few months later because it just couldn't meet the hype i had put on it over the years. I was also wanting it to be more practical that a fun-gun like that has any business being

I dont regret it too much honestly but i wish id kept it for my kids to learn to shoot with. loaded up with catsneeze rounds, it couldve been great for them since it was short enough for them to shoulder it

Oh well
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I wonder what the Rossi side of the business is worth? It would be difficult for an outsider to figure out, but whatever the Brazilian parent claimed it to be, it actually would be 10% of that amount. I don't think you need to buy Rossi, just start manufacturing 92s and put them out of business. I'm not sure what the patent problems would be in the US, but an outfit like Mossberg and their Maverick Arms could probably get past it by manufacturing them in Piedras Negras.
maverick_arms.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Theres an idea, made in Mexico, quality firearms on the cheap and imported by the truckload

Sigh, alas
No thin chicks
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I would suspect that the '92 patents expired long ago. Good CNC manufacturing practices, proper material selection (no plastic) and good assembly and final qc checks. Price point needs to stay close to Rossi and under the other players.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:Theres an idea, made in Mexico, quality firearms on the cheap and imported by the truckload
I figured the logistics on the Southern side has been worked out for years!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I would love to see someone else steer the company or a new company the right way. Get the rio grande dialed in with the ranch hands, and r92 rifles. Maybe better wood to.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
JSutter

Post by JSutter »

I would still like to buy one that works like it’s supposed to, with good wood.....
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

In what caliber? Theyre still around here and there, albeit with 357 being the most difficult to find and 45 being most common
No thin chicks
CavScout

Post by CavScout »

Ranch Dog wrote:<snip> I don't think you need to buy Rossi, just start manufacturing 92s and put them out of business. I'm not sure what the patent problems would be in the US, <snip>
My first post... Howdy! +guns

There are very high quality 1892 replicas manufactured by Miroku (Browning/Winchester) and Chiappa (Taylor's & Company).
They do cost twice as much, or more than the Rossi counterparts.

I'm a retired Machinist, and know that increases in finished product quality, or tightening of the tolerances, increases the production costs exponentially.

I have owned an original Winchester 1892, a Miroku Winchester 1892, a Miroku Browning B-92, a Chiappa Charles Daly 1892, and two Rossi 92's... and currently have a Chiappa 1892 9" Mare's Leg in 45 Colt.

The fit and finish on my Chiappa and Miroku 92's is exquisite.
The Chiappa 1892's readily accept parts and accessories for original Winchesters.
Miroku 1892's have "Modern" upgrades... coil springs, tang safety, etc.

I bought a Marble's Tang Sight and Winchester screw set from Brownells for my Charles Daly 1892, and it went right on! The tang screw was a bit tight in the trigger bar, so I chased the threads with a 10-32 tap, and all was good!

I replaced the Chiappa flat mainspring, screw and nut in my Mare's Leg with an original Winchester 1892 tapered mainspring and screw. I only had to open the screw clearance a slight bit with a #18 drill, dressed and polished the vintage screw head, added a quick Oxpho Blue... and all was good!

I had ordered a case hardened 92 from Navy Arms (Rossi), but when it arrived, the wood was split... so it went back!
Fortunately, the dealer had just taken in an Original 1892 Rifle in 32-20. I got it for his asking price of $895!
Unfortunately, I had to sell that fine piece ($1395) when the Recession hit, and my Home Machine Shop was losing customers... had to go back to a payroll job in a commercial shop making Dental components. :oops:

By the way, my last two Mule Deer Bucks were taken with my Rossi Circuit Judge, using Hornady LEVERevolution .45 Colt ammo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CavScout

Post by CavScout »

akuser47 wrote: <snip> Maybe better wood to.
I used to have two Rossi 92's (44-40 & 45) for CAS about 25 years ago.
While I had them taken apart for smoothing the action, I used kerosene and rags to wipe down the wood.
After a lot of effort, I finally removed the thick Creosote like coating.

The wood underneath actually looked pretty good, with some modest figure!
I rubbed in a few coats of Linseed Oil, and took my "Upgraded Rossi's to the CAS shoot.

I got a lot of complements and questions about where I got the nice looking wood for my Rossi's!