New 45/70 Rio Grand wont feed....slow warranty

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New 45/70 Rio Grand wont feed....slow warranty

Post by dpe.ahoy »

How did this end up??? Been a month since any comment here, just bein' nosey. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been wondering as well.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I received this back from AKDodger
I got a new rifle from Rossi second week of Oct. (about 5 months after I sent the gun in). Seems to work fine.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

5 months !! :o
So much for CEO Mark Kesser's 2 month return policy.
They must have strapped the new/repaired gun to a mule, pointed its nose toward the USA, gave it a slap in the backside & hoped for the best.........there are lots of mountains in Brazil.
That's why I never return a Rossi.....I fix it myself.......for $300 - $400 (at the time) I didn't expect to pull a Turnbull "custom jobbie" perfect in every detail out of the box.........with Rossis my expectations were always realistic & predicated on the buyers rule of thumb "you get whatya pay for".
Perhaps I was lucky that any problems (there were a few) I had with my 92s were fixable & I never had to use Rossis "slow mule from Brazil" return policy.
Supposedly things have changed since the old Amadeo days when I bought my guns but I'm not seeing clear cut evidence of that.
To be fair I never had a single problem with my Amadeo Rossi 12 gauge SxS Coachgun shotgun.........it was good NIB from minute 1.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Oh I forgot some things have changed since the old Amadeo days.......the price tags on the 92s have shot up from $300 - $400 to in some cases well over $600 a pop. :shock:
And then of course there's the "pigtail" bolt safety.........there are mixed feelings from Rossi owners about that. :D
There still appears to be no QC at the Rossi factory and what comes out of that box when it arrives is a "pot luck" proposition......if you get a perfect NIB Rossi go buy a lottery ticket right away while your lucky streak is still running cause you definitely LUCKED OUT !
I buy my Rossis (& Remlins) off the rack where I can see & handle what I'm getting.............eliminates most of the guess work & ensuing BS. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
duncan32244

Post by duncan32244 »

joec wrote:All I can say is my 92 in 45 Colt was sent back after I cleaned it the first time and tried to feed some snap caps through it, when it wouldn't feed. Now I don't live in Alaska but Kentucky so it is a lot closer to Miami Florida. I got mine back in 5 business days fixed. Have since put thousands of rounds through it.

I recently bought a Rio Grande 45-70 also and got it home, stripped it and cleaned it. Now I just found one burr any where inside which took about a minute to polish off. The other problem was the loading gate was a bear to push a round in. Got that fixed and checked out the rest of it and it was prefect. Never had a problem with it since. I will agree with pricedo that it needs the packing grease cleaned out before ever trying to put a round through it.

I just brought a Rio Grande last week 1/5/13 and the gun is having feeding issues and the lever gets stuck in the open position. I am not a gun smith and I keep my weapons clean but I am not a gun smith. This is probably the last Rossi I will ever own. I think that the extra few bucks for a Marlin is worth it. I hate sending guns back. I had to only do it once with S&W and have never brought one since. Gun Manufacturers,...... Check your @%$%t because disgruntled customers offset any marketing ideas. Man I was about to change my mind in the store and go with a better name brand but relented and now I am hosed!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

duncan32244 wrote:
joec wrote:All I can say is my 92 in 45 Colt was sent back after I cleaned it the first time and tried to feed some snap caps through it, when it wouldn't feed. Now I don't live in Alaska but Kentucky so it is a lot closer to Miami Florida. I got mine back in 5 business days fixed. Have since put thousands of rounds through it.

I recently bought a Rio Grande 45-70 also and got it home, stripped it and cleaned it. Now I just found one burr any where inside which took about a minute to polish off. The other problem was the loading gate was a bear to push a round in. Got that fixed and checked out the rest of it and it was prefect. Never had a problem with it since. I will agree with pricedo that it needs the packing grease cleaned out before ever trying to put a round through it.

I just brought a Rio Grande last week 1/5/13 and the gun is having feeding issues and the lever gets stuck in the open position. I am not a gun smith and I keep my weapons clean but I am not a gun smith. This is probably the last Rossi I will ever own. I think that the extra few bucks for a Marlin is worth it. I hate sending guns back. I had to only do it once with S&W and have never brought one since. Gun Manufacturers,...... Check your @%$%t because disgruntled customers offset any marketing ideas. Man I was about to change my mind in the store and go with a better name brand but relented and now I am hosed!
Actually partner I've owned a lot of guns in the last 45 years made by about every major maker out there. They all have quality control problems from time to time and one of the least expensive guns I own a RIA/Armscor 1911 has the single best CS I've ever gotten. Now as for Rossi as I said I sent a 92 in and had it back if 5 days fixed and gun smith or not the Rossi/Taurus guns usually come with a heavy packing grease which I recommend and they state in the manual I believe should be cleaned and lubed first before shooting.
Joe