44 special load in 44 mag case

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
desertrider

Re: 44 special load in 44 mag case

Post by desertrider »

Archer wrote:I use Unique for medium to light loads using cast bullets in the .44.
It may not meter too well in slider powder measures but it works pretty well in my Redding 3BR, my buddy's Hornady or another bud's old (but not new) Lyman 55.

Winchester primers are good for both standard and magnum loads. Standard primers are fine for Unique.
Looks like between you and mikld it sounds like a box of LPP's and some Unique will be in my future pretty soon here.

Just wish I had easier access to an outdoor range to test loads in a timely fashion. I'm lucky if I make it to an indoor range once a month.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Unique has left my stainless M88 cylinder looking like it came out of a house fire in the past.

I do the opposite on components. If it might work and the price is right, I buy it. Prices will rise based on history and there’s a chance regardless of how remote that what we use won’t be available forever.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

GasGuzzler wrote:Unique has left my stainless M88 cylinder looking like it came out of a house fire in the past.

I do the opposite on components. If it might work and the price is right, I buy it. Prices will rise based on history and there’s a chance regardless of how remote that what we use won’t be available forever.
^^^ This would be a deal changer for me.

I don't mind cleaning and maintenance involving surfaces that directly interact with the combustion process (chamber, bore, gas system, bolt/extractor) but when I have to spend time cleaning surfaces outside of that, something ain't right.

If I have to clean excessive residue from the exterior surface of a revolvers cylinder, that just seems unnecessary. I mean, if I raise the hood of my car and find oil spray all over the place, there better be some defective gaskets or missing crankcase breather vent, because any other reason is unacceptable.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

YMMV

It's just one of the reasons I dislike Unique. Most people think I'm crazy.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

GasGuzzler wrote:YMMV

It's just one of the reasons I dislike Unique. Most people think I'm crazy.
I don't know GasGuzzler, you aren't the first person I've spoken with, or read accounts from, who have stated that Unique is dirty.

That is why i posted the following quote a few days back.....
desertrider wrote: *** snip ***
I just may try Unique for the Redhawk and Chiappa. The only downside I've gathered about using Unique is that it's dirty. In your experience, is it so dirty that it results in a lot of residue in the action of a carbine or cylinder of a revolver?
*** snip ***
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Unique may leave some fouling but it seems to be easily removed.
H110 and 2400 and factory ammo all seem to do the same, sometimes less easily removed.
All revolvers seem to get some %@*&$ on the front of the cylinder and the inside of the top strap.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I shot/shoot a lot of Unique in my .44 Magnums and Specials (as well as in all my handgun loads). I'm not wearing my white tux with my white kid leather gloves when I shoot, so a bit of soot is absolutely no concern to me. Although I wouldn't go to church without changing clothes after 100+ rounds of Unique loads; some GSR odor on my shirt (but that's the same with any powder). Unique has never been so "dirty" as to impeded function of any firearm it's used in; revolver, semi-auto or lever gun. I have shot at indoor ranges and every one had a restroom with a sink, soap, and water and most had towels. When I'm shooting at the local outdoor "range" I take water to rinse off my hands before I drive down the hill. I keep paper towels and water in my truck too. In my range bag is a few hand towels/rags so if the soot offends me a quick wipe down is good enough to assuage my fears of dirty hands. I choose powders for my reloads on how they perform, not by unimportant "side effects". :lol:
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

:o Grimy hands and smudges on my jeans, though gauche if I stop for a half caf machiatto and a scone on my way home from the range, are only half as troubling as the wear and tear on my manicure after twenty minutes of arduous scrubbing and polishing to return my stainless cylinder to its original condition. :mrgreen:

It's funny, I can have a swingarm and rear wheel caked with disgusting, filthy chain lube and road grime on my street bike, or be covered in dust, sweat, and mud while dirt biking and be just fine, but a black, soot covered stainless revolver bugs me.

I think my wife's OCD tendency of getting after me for leaving greasy finger prints on the door jamb after working on something in the garage is starting to rub off on me. Who'd o' thunk it?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's only one of MANY reasons I hate Unique.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:It's only one of MANY reasons I hate Unique.
You KABOOM a firearm with a load of Unique?
Michael