Lost my ranch dog..

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
btoran

Re: Lost my ranch dog..

Post by btoran »

Sorry to hear about Millie. Good on you and the wife for adopting her and providing her a good home.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
pepperpete

Post by pepperpete »

So sad to hear about Millie RD, Margie and I have always had dogs and lately we've collected a couple of 'rescue dogs'. They tend to be very kind and loving dogs perhaps due to the hard life they had previously. You get so attached to them and it's hard when we lose them. We feel for you.
Pete and Margie
"Freedom is like respect and love. It has to be earned every day by your actions and re-actions".
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you, for your kind words fellows.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The work at the Adoption Center went well. I had 18 dogs in my charge. The Center is set up very well with no more than two dogs to a pen and "pen mates" are matched after observation to ensure they play well together. The pens have both in and outdoor space; both areas about 16'x20' separated by a garage door. The outdoor space is grass with panel fencing so they can interact with the other dogs. The indoor space is just their space; they cannot see the other dogs. Every dog has it's own food & water bowl plus a dog house and a cot, so they don't have to lay on the ground. Outside the pen, the dogs are identified by a given name, sex, coloring, and any health or behavior notes.

The pens get completely cleaned daily. The two dogs in each pen are moved to an arena where there are all kinds of activity toys. These dogs have only been there since September 25th, at the earliest and it is funny to watch them run as fast as they can to the arena when you let them out and after you are finished with their "home," run as fast as they can back.

I was there four hours, and three of it was just cleaning the pens. I did spend time with each dog, found this the easiest part, playing and talking with them. I think next week I will spend a little leash time with time before they run back "home." I think it would be important for a prospective family to see that they are comfortable on a lead and don't go "dog wild'. I kept that view in mind while I did the routine work as they all need to be well rounded if they are going to find a home. The director told me she appreciated my presence as they only have one other male volunteer and two inmates that work twice a week, so the dogs are not prepped, in most cases, for the man in the adopting family. I saw that it a couple of dogs, one wanted to eat my lunch when I arrived but by the time I left, he was my best fan. One very young female became okay with me and would lay down near me but didn't want me to close the distance. Our time was spent with me reciting nursery rhymes which she seemed to enjoy. She is a very calm dog for being so young and would make an excellent housemate plus she is just plain beautiful.

In that there has been only one guy working, there are plenty of repairs to keep one busy, and that is how I spent my last hour. The Center is well appointed with tools and supplies; they just need someone that knows how to use them.

When I was leaving the Director asked me if I would consider fostering a dog. I told her I didn't think so. I explained that I just met 18 new friends and it would be unfair to choose one over the other. Plus, if a foster dog is sitting around out at the ranch, it will miss the family that has traveled to the center just to find it.

They are very tuned to dog maintenance. I told the Director about one dog that I thought might be sick; he would be watched and go to the vet next door if necessary. I found a tick on a momma dog's ear; they asked me to pull it, and then one of the ladies immediately took her inside for a bath. I moved her nine little ones inside to be with her as we had a cold front just blow through!
momma_01.jpg
momma_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Michael,

This is super news to hear you've gone ahead and volunteered your time at the shelter. Super cool! My wife is at her agility class right this moment with our 3-year-old female Terrier mix, Honeybee; I'm going to be heading out to the "new" truck with our 2-3/4 year-old male whippet/pit bull/shepherd/dingo Wolfgang for his agility class in about 10 minutes.

Nothing quite like the bond with a dog and a man (or woman) - you know what I mean.

So, I'm curious - are most of these dogs at your facility "refugees" of the post-Harvey evacuation? Sounds like the folks there have a good plan in place. Would be even better to have more male volunteers, but you know, there are only so many guys out there willing to spend the time! Sort of reminds me of my minority status in elementary school, as the "token old white guy" classroom teacher in a place where most teachers are younger women.

Hey, is there a website for the facility you're helping with? I should probably be PM'ing you on this but hey I'm just glad to hear you're helping out.

Take care, don't get guilted into fostering dogs yet - been there/done that/too hard FYI.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

GRV01 wrote:I havent had a dog since i was a kid, and my kids have never had one since weve been living in apartments for last 8 years, but i promised them and Wifey wed get an adult rescue after finishing this move and ill tell you im not looking forward to the first time they'll need to bury a pet
When you are ready, look online on Arizona Border Collie Rescue. There are several other wonderful rescue organizations out here in the west, too. We got our last Aussie from Western Australian Shepherd Rescue out of Denver. She's a hunting fool, and perfect family dog. There are many groups that gather Rez dogs from the many Indian Reservations here in the west. We got a brindle colored Aussie from the Navajo Rez who also was all a bird hunter could ever want.

My Aussies sit at my side Spring and Fall when I call in wild turkeys. Somehow, they seem to be invisible to the toms, even at 10 or 15 yards. Their intelligence when it comes to hunting is difficult to fathom. Of course, the herding instinct of the stock dogs is simply a more intelligent version of the basic hunting instinct.

Roger
remus

Post by remus »

I've lost three of my dogs in the last two years. Only have one left, Gus, A German shepherd. My lady friend has a little dog and they get along famously when she brings him over. I need another dog for Gus. Nothing hurts quite like losing a loyal long time dog. Go to youtube, Jim Stafford's version of Bojangles. A different kind of Bojangles but it always get to me about his dog dying. Sorry for your loss.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That is awesome getting to help dogs and see how well cared for the are there.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

Just saw this thread. Sorry for your loss. In my life I always had big dogs, shorthairs, labs, wolf hybrids, and best of all mutts. Now we have little ones, one on the bed by me now, a liver toy snauzer, 15 lbs but
We have coyotes and bobcats that come into the yard weekly, and always afraid he will be too aggressive to back away. Got another one that is 13, a little mix terrier, also not afraid of anything. Ran with the horses for a while and when he goes my wife will never be the same. Your story about the dog predicting a seizure prompted my reply. My wife has diabetes and dozens of times he has woken her up when her sugar was dangerously low. Sorry for your loss.
"Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience", lever action guns are instinctive, anyone can pick it up and know how it works... a natural extension of the human arms. +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

OldGringo wrote:Just saw this thread. Sorry for your loss. In my life I always had big dogs, shorthairs, labs, wolf hybrids, and best of all mutts. Now we have little ones, one on the bed by me now, a liver toy snauzer, 15 lbs but
We have coyotes and bobcats that come into the yard weekly, and always afraid he will be too aggressive to back away. Got another one that is 13, a little mix terrier, also not afraid of anything. Ran with the horses for a while and when he goes my wife will never be the same. Your story about the dog predicting a seizure prompted my reply. My wife has diabetes and dozens of times he has woken her up when her sugar was dangerously low. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you OG and welcome to the forum. Good to hear you have a "working dog" helping with your wife's health.
Michael