Scope Mount & Rings

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ver2cal

Scope Mount & Rings

Post by ver2cal »

I mounted the NOE rail on my new Rossi 357 and was pleasantly surprised to find the original front sight remained visible. At the range I saw what it could do with just front sight and top of the NOE rail to align my shots. To my surprise I could dot an I at 20 yards with it. Such a fun gun to shoot.

Since buying the Rossi I've been researching scout scopes and keeping an eye on prices. I found a new Weaver scout scope for $170 and pulled the trigger. Now I need to find rings to mount it when it arrives. I thought the scout scope was a lot to research but the sheer volume of choices in rings has me overwhelmed. I'm hoping the good folks here who came before me might point me in the right direction.

Ideally what I would like is my Weaver mounted as low as can be with some sort of quick release. I don't want to keep the scope on at all times but want to be able to mount it and trust it is still accurate. Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Scope Mount & Rings

Post by HarryAlonzo »

CVA DS400S. This is the silver version, but there's a black one. Inexpensive, but solid and low. Returns to zero every time. It's kind of a slow quick release (multiple turns), but quick enough for me. Burris Zee ring has a nice QD version, from what I hear.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Most name brand rings are going to return to zero, just a matter of how fast they go on and off. On my Rossi's I've used the high Weaver Quad-Lock 4X4 (#49047). The Weaver Classic K4 will make gunmetal to eye bell contact with Mediums. On my bolt rifles, I use the high Weaver Grand Slam Lever Locs (#49326).
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm a fan or Warne QDs. The steel ones are a bit heavy but solid.
I think RD's probably pretty correct, follow the directions and most quality rings will work to get you back on target with a quality scope.

I'd like to know how much folks are pushing the range with the 92s.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:I'd like to know how much folks are pushing the range with the 92s.
I've killed a couple of hogs at 190 yards plus change, never one over 200, with both the 45 Colt and 454 Casull a deer is completely feasible. Really, all my hunting is inside 100-yards but most of it is the 30 minutes before sunrise and after sunset so it is very tough to put any type of open or receiver sight on an animal with the backdrop of our gray brush.

Here are some point-blank ranges from my rifle using a 3" rise and fall with the cast bullets I shoot.
PBR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
btoran

Post by btoran »

ver2cal - i was on a similar journey. check out the post below. page 2 has has the final version, which sounds very similar to what you're trying to accomplish. basically, i have a scout scope with quick release rings that do hold zero well. when the scope is removed the front sight is a glowie (better for my eyes) and for the rear sight, i glued some funky glow things (i know, highly technical description) to the rear of the rail. great sight picture for me. good luck.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4645
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
ver2cal

Post by ver2cal »

I finally decided on Warne QD Low Rings. They work great with the NOE mount and Weaver scout scope. The scout rifle setup seems to be very intuitive to acquire a target. More practice will be needed but that was my biggest concern so I am very pleased. Both eyes open is very doable already after only a day of trying.

I am surprised I have as much clearance even using "low" rings which are .250". Right now it is more of a jaw than a cheek feel. I suppose my next search will be for a very light weight cheek rest to add. Originally I had wanted to get an ammo holder for the stock but maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. Any suggestions?

Thanks everybody for the great feedback so far! Such a great forum!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Blackhawk Urban Warfare IVS Performance Ventilated Cheek Pad. Whew, that's a mouthful. I have one on a New England Arms single shot. It's very fiddly to set up, with lots of velcro adjustments. I don't like adding the weight of ammo to a rifle, but it does put it in a convenient place.