Any Advice on Shortening a Stock?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Iplayfarmer

Any Advice on Shortening a Stock?

Post by Iplayfarmer »

My 11 year old daughter is getting into shooting with me and the stock on her gun is too long. I got her a Henry since Rossi doesn't have a .22lr lever action (that I know of). I've ordered a youth stock for her, but I fear it may still be too long.

Is shortening a stock as easy as just cutting it off and re-installing the butt plate?

Are there more accurate ways to measure for length of pull than the usual elbow to finger measurement?

If I'm cutting the stock anyway are there considerations for the angle of the cut that can make the gun better?

Thanks in advance for advice.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any Advice on Shortening a Stock?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've cut a few and there is a bit of work to it to get it right. Here are the three videos that I learned from.

Determining LOP:
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

The cut:

The butt or recoil pad:

I bought the Miles Gilbert Fixture used in this last video and that purchase was worth every penny I paid for it as the fit of the pad is the measure of your work.

I also bought this belt/disk sander from Harbor Freight for the work and have used it for a hundred different things. It's on sale now for $60.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Iplayfarmer wrote:Is shortening a stock as easy as just cutting it off and re-installing the butt plate?
If you shorten the stock ANY, the butt pad will not fit without fitting it properly. My bet is the plate will not be able to be adjusted as it is probably plastic. The Potterfield video explains that it is easier just to buy a recoil pad.
Michael
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I bought a Henry youth model for my grandson. It was still too big for him, so I started him on a Henry Mini Bolt. He absolutely loved it, it’s made to fit small kids and has fiber optic sights that they understand right away.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

Warhawk wrote:I bought a Henry youth model for my grandson. It was still too big for him, so I started him on a Henry Mini Bolt. He absolutely loved it, it’s made to fit small kids and has fiber optic sights that they understand right away.
My daughter has been shooting a marlin youth model single shot bolt action. She loves it, but it won't work in the cowboy action shooting that she wants to get into. Like your grandson, the Henry Youth is still a little long for her, but she's growing. I don't want to cut the stock too short and have her grow out of it in just a few months.