Project: Baby Big Bore

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project: Baby Big Bore

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:So so far most people vouch for 44mag, one for 45LC, none for 45-70. Id like to hear from more people who have both (or all three!) to see which gives most versatility
I have all three and my only interest in the rifles are for hog and deer hunting. As a reloader, I consider the 44 Mag and 45 Colt equals. I shoot a 275 or 300-grain bullet in the 44 Mag and a 290-grain bullet in the 45 Colt and consider either of them to be a 150-yard deer rifle although I've shot them both at game out to 200-yards. Both have the Weaver K4 Classic Scout Scope. I use Lil'Gun in both and work with velocities 1750 to 1775 FPS and pressures at 35K PSI.

The one thing they are not are equals with the 45-70 Govt. I shoot the Rio Grande with 310, 360, and 435-grain bullets. Even with the heavy bullet, I considered it a solid 200-yard deer rifle. I took it on a mule deer hunt this past season, no luck, but I was practiced and was prepared to shoot out to 300-yards with it. Powder; plenty of rifle powders to choose from and it will do well with just about anything. I shoot the Rio Grande at 35K PSI and see velocities at 2100 FPS for the 310-grain bullet, 1900 for the 360, and 1700 for the 435.
44Mag_45Colt_4570_Energy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I still vote for .44 if you want versatility. RD very astutely addresses the high end of performance, but I believe you'd like to cover the highs and lows. .44 Spl allows you to use a single powder and still maintain a reasonable case fill. With .45 Colt or 45-70, you have to tolerate lower case fill or find a different (less active) powder for lighter loads. By the way, I don't use Hodgdon powder, and I'm not overjoyed with my current powder selection, so I'm not making any recommendations in that regard.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

44 I think will be cheaper to reload as well 45 lc I've shot cases seem very thin walled. Though I still want a 45 lc just cause cowboys did +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GRV01 wrote:@OH3W - im surprised to hear the 300gr 45LC still shoot well out to 100yd, is that with H110? Ive heard mixed things about it, that it makes a big boom but doeant like being reduced and needs a mag primer

Took an inventory of my LGS limited selection and in pistol for zippy loads my options are basically H110 or HS6. Any thoughts or comments on either? Ideally id like a hot powder that would give best performance in a 16" barrel, with performance out of a pistol barrel a distant secondary concern. Further, the idea of keeping four different kinds of primers vs just two is disconcerting so if its true that H110 'needs' mag primers im not enthusiastic about it

As for lighter end loads im liking HP38 and when im done with it id like to explore Trail Boss, but again thats not a priority

So so far most people vouch for 44mag, one for 45LC, none for 45-70. Id like to hear from more people who have both (or all three!) to see which gives most versatility
That is with H110 and what you've heard about not going below minimum is correct. In the BH with stout loads I get enough muzzle flash that it startles people next to me on the in door range, outside in sun light it isn't quite as noticeable. I've never used HS6. I have used Winchester 296 which is said to be the twin sister of H110 it works but oddly I don't seem to get the same accuracy with it. H4227 is often recommended in these sort of loads and I've shot a bunch of it in other guns/calibers but I don't care for it in the Colt. I'm about out of it and suspect I'll stick to H110 for the big cases and heavy bullets. As to primers I am using Winchester LPs that are labeled for standard and magnum loads and getting good results in both. I generally have most types on hand including the CCI arsenal primers (I play with a few semi-auto mil spec rifles now and then). But that's me after nearly 50 years in this hobby and represents a lot of experimenting and fun along the way. Still have both eyes and ten fingers, so it been safe, fun and a heck of ride. Enjoy the ride.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

akuser47 wrote:44 I think will be cheaper to reload as well 45 lc I've shot cases seem very thin walled. Though I still want a 45 lc just cause cowboys did +guns
They are thinner than the 44 mag and take a modicum of care entering the sizer. Since I started using a tapper crimp I have some cases approach ten loadings and firings without a split. With a roll crimp 5 or 6. Right now everything straight walled gets tapper crimps.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That's not bad then 45 lc can still hang if done carefully. Tanks for the info. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

well, after talking to Wifey we've settled on a caliber. She still really wants a Circuit Judge which means for simplicity's sake im settling for 45LC

ive started reloading 357 with HP38 and HS6 but im looking for something hotter. H110 seems like the obvious choice but the more I learn about it the less I want to use such a finicky powder. Still hoping for 4227 but I cant find it locally short of having it sent to BassPro albeit at almost $15 markup (not to mention the 30mile drive) @OH3W, do you know how many grains that load is you mentioned before or are you just filling the case to the base of the bullet as ive seen some recommend?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have .44 Mag in 3 rifles and 3 handguns and .45-70 in 2 rifles.
The .44s are light weight and handy although 2 of them are 24" barrels and 1 of those is an octagonal. I do notice a bit of lag swinging them on target or to the shoulder compared to the 20" round barrel.

One of the .45-70s is a beast of an 1886 Winchester with a 26" octagonal and I love it although I might not recommend toting it long distance on a hike. The other is a Marlin stainless guide gun with an 18.5" round barrel. I load warm for both of them and they are a hoot.

I can understand your desire to consolidate on the same calibers where they work. For years I owned .30-06 without owning .308 and avoided quite a few other calibers so I could maintain a couple rifle calibers and a couple handgun calibers rather than a couple dozen. One factor I tended to take into consideration was IF the firearms I acquired could handle ANY load I was libel to load for them. I think maintaining the same caliber in a Circuit Judge and a R92 may not be as easy IF you wish to load it warm or hot. The R92 is capable of handling loads that are quite warm but the Circuit Judge should be limited to spec loads below the magnum level. IF you want to load hot for your hunting purposes in the R92 you need to keep those rounds separated from the ammo you intend to shoot through the CJ. In my case I might just as soon go with .44 mag in that gun and download for my plinking fodder. Of course if you don't watch what you are doing you could still insert .44 mag in a .45 Colt weapon and that wouldn't be a good thing either.

Regarding H110 and Win296. These powders allow you to load heavy loads and are quite acceptable as long as you follow the recipes. I tend to go for every day loads using 2400 but I have and use H110 when I'm looking for maximum V. Don't be discouraged to use this powder if you can follow the recipe it may surprise you with how easily it can be used. I use H110 for 44 Mag, .357 Mag and .30 Carbine.

Another thing to consider with heavy recoiling rounds is the recoil CAN partly pull the bullets. This is most common in revolvers but you want sufficient neck tension and proper crimp to help prevent this. I say proper crimp because too much and the brass may actually spring back from the bullet crushed underneath.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

You'll have to be comfortable with using others' loads....something that has never scared me. H110 is not finicky, it isn't good to under-load it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I will check when I get home. The bullet is the Lee 300 grain 45. It goes about 325 I my alloy lubed and gas checked. In the Black Hawks 19 grains is all the hand wanted and that was good because it was accurat. In the '92 it's in the general vicinity of 23 grains I'm still working it a bit.

I like H110 for heavy loads in just about all my pistol cartridges, it isn't really intended solely as light load powder.

I have found that either version of 4227 can be a bit finicky depending on cartridge and loading, a lot of powders have their quirks and their niche where they fit best.

Make smoke,