Another fine rifle is discontinued

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Another fine rifle is discontinued

Post by Steelbanger »

This week I read a short notice about the Ruger No.1 being discontinued by Ruger. That notice is the only one I saw so lets hope it isn't true. The prices of these fine single shots keep going up so I assume that sales were weak.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another fine rifle is discontinued

Post by Ranch Dog »

It really doesn't surprise me. The price they must bring to cover the labor of producing them, put them out of the range of many. With ARs taking their market share, the single shot, at any price, might be a thing of the past.

As of late, I've been wanting a EAB 97D or No. 1 in 30-30 Win.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I really can't afford a brand new No.1 but I do know where there is a very accurate bull barreled #1V for sale. It belongs to the estate of my late friend Kent. I know how well it groups and I am trying to decide whether to rebarrel it or just shoot it as is. Two options are the 38-55 and 444 Marlin. Why can't I just drift off to sleep at night instead of dreaming about these things?
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Most new ones are cheaper than old ones. I have no idea what the appeal is but I don't want a nylon 66 or a Barrett either. It's a niche gun so watch it disappear. I couldn't care less. Of course that doesn't mean a hill of beans.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I HAVE a Nylon 66. It wasn't so much that I wanted it but it was tossed in on a multiple firearm buy from a buddy of mine who was trying to get some of his money out of a much larger buy he made on impulse from a just turned former LEO who'd just got convicted of domestic violence and had to divest of his firearms fast or turn them over to the court. I can't say that the gun is something I'd go out of my way to search down but I can say that I've taken it out to the range and it is surprisingly reliable, accurate and fun.

I remember there being something like 15 or 20 different models of the Nylon out when I was a kid and thinking they were cool then. Today I'm not sure anything gets past the reliability and versatility of the 10/22 in the little .22 LR semis PLUS I blame Obama for raising the price of .22 ammo by a factor of 25 to 100 percent. That more than anything else is going to start cutting into the next generation of shooters IMO.

As for single shots while I wouldn't turn up my nose at a Ruger No1 I'm not sure I'd seek that one out either.
Maybe a nice Winchester 1885 made in Japan on the other hand...