Rossi 92 Shines--Finally

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
North Idaho Shooter

Rossi 92 Shines--Finally

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

I had major feeding issues with a Rossi 92-Color-case, 20" octagon barrel-in 45 Colt (see my posts in Rossi Customer Service Section).

Long story short, I chose not to wait three weeks for the local gunsmith to return from his family emergency, and ordered a new ejector spring, tool set, and DVD from Steve's Gunz. After watching the video once all the way through, I tore into it.

One side of the cut-out in the bolt for the ejector was jagged, so I trued that up, cleaned up the ejector, took the burrs off the bolt and basically cleaned up all the rest of the lousy machine work. I also figured out that the cartridge stop was apparently the problem, and reworked it, in several small steps, until I got it to feed properly.

When I finally got the oversized lever back from the gunsmith, it did have all the "anti-droop" parts for the lever in it.

I've had the gun to the range twice since getting it slicked up, put roughly 100 rounds through it, and have no issues with how it works. It feels like it's running on ball bearing--VERRRRRRRRY SMOOTH!

I did not shorten the hammer spring, the magazine spring, or trim down the loading gate or trigger springs. Those all seemed to be pretty good to me. I figure I saved myself several weeks and several hundred dollars over having it worked on.

The truly sad part is, Rossi could have done the same thing WHILE ASSEMBLING IT the first time, and it wouldn't have taken much more time than sending out garbage. A shame that I had to spend this kind of time on it, but it's a great feeling fixing things yourself.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi 92 Shines--Finally

Post by Ranch Dog »

Your last sentence says it all! Good to handle things on your own! Well done!
Michael
North Idaho Shooter

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

All it needs now is a saddle ring and a safety delete, and it'll be all set.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Glad to hear +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Glad to hear it turned out to be a rather simple fix.
Pity it wasn't done right in the first place.

I just bought some tools and in testing out the mechanism in some of them I'm going to have to send one back for replacement. Stupid since less than a 10 second examination proved it defective.