Anyone here own a Taurus Judge?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Anyone here own a Taurus Judge?

Post by GRV01 »

Im almost embarrassed to ask as to paraphrase one poster on another board, "Theyre marketed to idiots and theyve sold like hotcakes which goes to show you"

Long story short Ive been waffling back and forth on picking up a new caliber(s) and i love pistol/rifle combos and I am really interested in 410 so im thinking i may buy a CJ when they become available again which may be awhile but until then, Judges are available now for fairly cheap. I can buy online for as cheap as $430 new but with xfer fees its the same as buying local at $470ish so price isnt a huge roadblock. Sure theres used ones to be found but for not much less and sight-unseen online and im not yet comfortable with that (will i ever be?)

Stipulations: i will *not* fire birdshot nor slugs out of it, only 00 or 000 buck and 45LC. Im looking at the 3" barrel 3" cylinder Judge Magnum version so i wont be restricting ammo selection if/when i get a CJ

Intended use 1) as a car gun when on roadtrips (my grandfather was jumped at a rest stop years ago and didnt survive the confrontation) and a bedside table gun where 410 buck would work well indoors not overpenetrating *AS MUCH AS A 357 ROUND FROM MY RANCH HAND OR RHINO* into kids rooms or neighbors house. Pardon the yelling, i just feel this overwhelming need to differentiate myself from the stereotypical internet Judge owner/shooter.
Intended Use 2) as a companion gun to my future Circuit Judge when outdoors or on a hunt (which im not even sure ill end up doing after moving to VT). The CJ loaded with 45LC and the Judge with same or again buckshot if im worried about coyotes or other small varmints

So does anyone own one here? I know they get alot of hate but i feel much of that is a) overly high expectation for 410 buckshot out of a 3" barrel, and b) internet doofi (plural of doofus!) who feel theyre handheld blunderbusses and that a peppering of birdshot will win the day

I dunno, what do you think?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone here own a Taurus Judge?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't own one but would not hesitate to depend on one for self defense. I carry a Taurus pistol every day and know that I can depend on it no matter what the doofi think.

For me, I would have a tough time buying another Taurus because of how they handled the Millenium Pro recall. They threw the pistol and its owner "under the bus" to save the Company's bacon. Customer Service is a little bit more apt at handling handgun repairs, but you are still dealing with the same folks that butcher Rossi rifles.
Michael
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

I have a "Raging Judge Magnum" with the 6" barrel. It is my companion for my 454 rifle. Certainly not a CC revolver, but that's not what it was purchased for. It is my nightstand buddy. Not any reason it couldn't be a car gun, I've just never used it like that.

Frankly, I don't know why it gets all the bad press. I must be one of the idiots those guys are talking about because you couldn't purchase that gun from me for twice what I paid (which is about what they are going for - if you can find one!). I guess if you are an avid target guy then a gun that only has a single purpose would probably be better, but for a gun that is fun, it can't be beat. When on the range or out with guys, nobody sees that gun that doesn't want a better look and everybody wants to shoot a 454 round out of it. It is a hand cannon.

I would also say that mine is probably more accurate then I am. I'm no crack shot, but it is routine to for me to hit a 10 inch frying pan at 50 yards using its standard sights with the 454 ammo. While not with the groupings achieved with the rifle, certainly what I would classify as acceptable. Its also fun to run different kinds of ammo through it. Pretty dramatic the difference between a 45LC and a 454.

I have also shot 3" 000 shells (which is what I keep in it at home). I have looked at the spread many times. at 25-30 foot (the furthest I can imagine shooting in a house) I have about a foot spread at worse and many times it is tighter than that. I would also say that, while not like a 45LC or 454, the pellets wouldn't have much trouble penetrating the drywall. I think your neighbors house is safe though! ;-) I'm not sure how different the spread would be with the shorter barrel, but I can't imagine in a distance that you would shoot in a house that it can't be effective. I don't think the coyotes would be too happy to see you coming with it.

Despite all the negative press, I really like mine. I looked a long time to find it (again, I have the SS with the 6" barrel) and have no complaints. Would it have the oomph of a 12 gauge? Nope, but it's not a 12 gauge. The better question to ask is would I want to stand in front of it from 10-20 feet? That's a bigger NOPE and once fired, I don't think the recipient is standing either. I give your possible purchase a thumbs up.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Really glad to hear from you both on the matter. I really like the idea of it, i love the matched pair concept with a CJ, i like its versatility with 410 and 45lc loads, i like its inherent reliability being a revolver (though i know some had mechanical issues), i like the price and many more things

Honestly the 2 biggest things keeping me from buying one is the stigma as mentioned above and the recoil. Im a small guy and wifeys no bigger and weve never really fired anything big bore beyond 357. None to rent here, and im already dealing with my buyers remorse of my Mossberg 500 purchase so not eager to get another firearm i *may* not like

Need more time to think, though i think the moment a CJ comes available im likely buying both!
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

The judge is relatively heavy, so the recoil is manageable and the recoil from the shotgun shells is way less than from the 454. I would tell you that the recoil from the 45LC is not much different then the kick from a 357. I would also say the recoils are different. The 357 is a very sharp recoil and the 45 LC a more sustained and I think that makes the 45LC more manageable.

Just my opinion.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't want one. I have no use for one. That being said, spend your money how you'd like.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If you can afford it Smith and Wesson make one to the Governor.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-governor-0
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I don't own one.
The only bad thing I can say for sure is that of the three CJs that have come into the shop I hang out at one had to be returned because the stock was split to flinders when the box was opened.

Our political masters in Kali have prohibited the judge and governor based on calling them sawed off shotguns.
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

GRV01 wrote:...biggest things keeping me from buying one is the stigma as mentioned above....
Ignore the stigma.
Every caliber has its detractors.

If the Judge meets your needs, get it.
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

The S&W Governor does cost more and it is also limited to 45 LC and 2.5" shotgun shells. It is the clone of the Taurus Judge, not the Raging Judge Magnum.