Indifference for "black guns"

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Indifference for "black guns"

Post by GRV01 »

Anyone else absolutely love their lever guns and revolvers and that whole aesthetic but just cannot be bothered to get excited over ARs, auto loaders of any stripe, or just about anything polymer?

I mean, academically i can get interested about mechanics or features but i wouldnt spend a red cent on one of those guns. Hell, i think if i won one in a raffle id probably sell it and buy a levergun :D Granted i know the other side of the coin is true and theres 'tacticool operator' (kidding) types that havent fired anything with wood on it

Anyone else feel the same though?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
ShortStop

Re: Indifference for "black guns"

Post by ShortStop »

For me, as long as it goes BANG and doesn't break my wrist or knock my shoulder out of joint I will shoot it.
I own both types , all are just different fun for me.

Hi all !
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I like all kinds
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

GRV01 wrote:Anyone else absolutely love their lever guns and revolvers and that whole aesthetic but just cannot be bothered to get excited over ARs, auto loaders of any stripe, or just about anything polymer?
The aesthetic and historic charm of a wooden stock lever action rifle designed 140 years ago is what makes those rifles so appealing to me. It's hard to imagine the material and mechanical challenges overcome by the genius designers and manufacturers in the 1800s.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

GRV01 wrote:Anyone else absolutely love their lever guns and revolvers and that whole aesthetic but just cannot be bothered to get excited over ARs, auto loaders of any stripe, or just about anything polymer?

I mean, academically i can get interested about mechanics or features but i wouldnt spend a red cent on one of those guns. Hell, i think if i won one in a raffle id probably sell it and buy a levergun :D Granted i know the other side of the coin is true and theres 'tacticool operator' (kidding) types that havent fired anything with wood on it

Anyone else feel the same though?

Your comments are right on the edge of sounding judgmental to me. All of these arms simply span the periods of development and deployment. I am enamored of levers, love the heritage they represent and they are just handy to use. They cycle fast, and maintain their aim doing so. On the other hand, the black rifles you speak of have been amazingly accurate. You don't have to regain your grip on arm for subsequent shot. They might have all the aesthetic of a yard hydrant, but they are very functional design - that in itself is now over 50 years old, and still going strong.

I like them all. But in NM, we have a little saying that might cover this - "toocheezown". I think it's a good one.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Hardly judgemental when i mentioned in my first post thst i appreciate the aesthetic most of all of levers and revolvers

Further i think i shouldve mentioned my age: ill be 31 in a few months. I dont knoe anyone my own age that shares my tastes in firearms, which brings me back to why i started this thread and why im on this board at all -- sharing my love of the lever
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My interest spans from single shot black powder cartridge rifles to the "black rifles". I have 2 AR type one in 5.56 and the other in 22 LR. Have fun with both more with the 22LR as I don't have to chase cases. And I love my levers 2 Rossi and 1 JM Marlin, Hoping to to add a 4th, but at the end of the day in the woods or the range they're all great, but taking 400gr of lead on top of 60 or so grains of black powder, loading it in to the Sharps and smacking a 55 pound steel ram at 500 meters and watching it fall over. Iron sights grins time for me.

Make smoke, any way you can,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've always been a bit of a knowledge nut and firearms are a subject I've pursued for a long time.
From 14th century hand cannon to modern just released I find it all interesting.

I started out with lever actions, semi auto single action handguns and pre Vietnam era U.S. military smallarms.

I had no interest in the AR until the silly posterior communists masquerading as democrats got busy during the Clinton years attempting to disarm the citizens and turn us all into peons.

At that point I bought TWO ARs.

I still had little real affection for them.
Hanging around at a shop where one of the guys behind the counter was a builder who over the years built several different types of firearms starting with receivers (or before I met him even starting with flats) so he could figure out how they worked I started learning more about them. Over the past few years I've built a gaggle of AR-15 series guns, a couple .308 AR series guns and helped buddies put together several more for themselves.

I even got into revolvers, eventually.

Haven't started acquiring black powder arms or casting my own lead yet but I could see them happening.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love anything that goes bang from firecrackers to blackpowder guns. To machine guns to cowboy era guns. If I have one I like it for some reason mostly for the click n bang of it all. +guns I do go through moods one minute cowboy guns next minute the latest PCC or modern shotguns. I'm currently about to buy a Benelli M4 shotgun I'm trying to talk myself out of it. :oops: . I say enjoy it while you can because when your dead and gone family will chop the lot for fastest cash they can and move on.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Another "I like all of them ". They all have a purpose.
I know a two wheeler type feller who carries a Kel-Tec SUB 2000 in 40 S&W all nicely folded in half stashed away in a computer bag with 3 32 round magazines.
Same feller slinks through the river bottoms with a Marlin 336 chambered in 414 Supermag hoping to get just a peek at one of them cougars "that do not exist" but leaves tracks all over the game trails.
Just two examples of how they all have a purpose.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.