Remington CF & RF Ammo - Report Your Experience

Off the shelf ammo for all Rossi firearms.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Remington CF & RF Ammo - Report Your Experience

Post by akuser47 »

Yea we still have not gotten rim fire back yet to a normal supply. I hope and pray a factory may yet invest in more lines to pump out higher volumes of 22lr and then flood the market as long as its not Remington thunderbolts or golden or similar in quality.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Remington CF & RF Ammo - Report Your Experience

Post by Archer »

akuser47 wrote:Yea we still have not gotten rim fire back yet to a normal supply. I hope and pray a factory may yet invest in more lines to pump out higher volumes of 22lr and then flood the market as long as its not Remington thunderbolts or golden or similar in quality.
Yeah, Have had several failures to fire on Rem Golden Bullets recently.

I know a lot of big Green lovers but sometimes I wish Remington would put a little more thought into Quality up front. I can name two or three of their guns that either had major refits after introduction or got more or less pulled from the market because of reliability and durability issues. They could have also handled the Marlin acquisition much better.

I anticipate some brand consolidation among the firearms holding companies that own several producers of ARs and 1911s each. Normally I might think that MIGHT be a good thing but I suspect we are going to loose some of the nicer options we've had for the past couple decades in the process.

I hear Barak Obama is applying ITAR rules to small businesses whether or not they export including requiring State Dept licensing which is an added cost and added rules for access that have to be followed. Once again we may find a lot of the smaller manufacturers run out of business by increasing paperwork burdens and increasing overhead costs pricing them out of the market.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've shot very few Golden Bullets. I've stayed away from them. Thunderbolts are 50 times worse I've heard. The sorriest I've used is the Winchester in the red plastic 100 round trays. Shot a tray through my 10/22 and the inside looked like it'd been doused in WD40 and dropped in a sandbox.

My stash is almost all CCI, Federal 550 bulk, and Federal Automatch aside from specialty stuff like CCI Standard velocity for the Marlin 60, and misc subsonic, shorts, etc.

I think my entire .22WMR stash is CCI MaxiMags.

I'll likely never buy any .357 from the store again but sometimes pick up .223/5.56 and 9mm from people needing cash selling off 2013 stashes.

I have a brick of Aguila HV and a box of nickel Remington 125gr .357 SJHP I don't need or want. I guess someone else does. I guess I'll find out.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I've never had issue with anything center fire made by Remington. Squibs and dirty, FtF a lot are generally the worst case with golden and thunder bolts. Enough so I have a lot of each just sitting needing disposal as I will not use them in many guns I own except single shots so slowly using them up cautiously. I grew up hunting with both in my 1022 with none of these issues not sure what has changed.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

akuser47 wrote:I've never had issue with anything center fire made by Remington. Squibs and dirty, FtF a lot are generally the worst case with golden and thunder bolts. Enough so I have a lot of each just sitting needing disposal as I will not use them in many guns I own except single shots so slowly using them up cautiously. I grew up hunting with both in my 1022 with none of these issues not sure what has changed.
Cr*ppy QC

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Kinda engaging in topic drift but...

A buddy had a .30-06 Remington Core Lokt that failed to chamber in his Mossberg.
My CZ with the mauser style camming action could almost chamber it but the effort level was high and I wasn't comfortable with forcing it.
I contacted Remington and they said send it back. They sent me a letter saying the brass had not been final head sized during the forming process and an entire box of ammo in replacement.

Another bud had a Ruger SR22 that had a Remington Golden Bullet apparently overcharge and blow out a spring. Not sure if it was the slide stop spring or what but Ruger fixed the gun for him no charge and he won't use any Remington .22 since then. I think he also claimed an issue with a .38 SP in his Smith but don't recall the details.

I had a Federal .45-70 where the bullet wasn't crimped in place. That was an issue as it had impacted going through the Winchester magazine. I had a pierced primer trap the firing pin on a .357 Mag Fiocchi with a 686 L frame.

I heard from another customer at Wally World that he had issues with Remington .223 but he donated it to his neighbor a LEO who shot it up without any problems whatsoever.

Back on topic... I suspect .22 may be in short suppy especially so after Hillary gets elected. Given what CA is letting the government do to them I expect it will be even worse here. Lots of folks here are already anticipating stops at the ag inspection stations at the border coming back from gunshows out of state for ammunition searches.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Fruit and ammo, what a world we live in.

I have some 10 or 12 year old Goldens that are fine, haven't shot any of the new one as I've been able to get CCI or Winchester reliably so far here in Dayton. I have heard guys at the range complaining about the Remington 22 in the "Range Buckets". Failure to fire and dirty seem to be the leading gripe.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ohio3Wheels wrote: I've been able to get CCI or Winchester reliably so far here in Dayton,
You have good luck with Winchester? What kind? Used a red box of 100 a few years ago and never tried them again. They were awful.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Deleted User 2964

Post by Deleted User 2964 »

Golden Bullet .22LR, 3" groups at 125 yrds, Browning BL22.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

My favorite .22 squirrel hunting bullet of all times was/is the Remington Yellow Jackets. But they were hard to find when shelves were full of .22's. I doubt I'll ever see them again. One season I took 45 straight squirrels with that bullet using Remington pump. I was dead set to prove the girl at the LGS that a box of 50 meant 50 squirrels. I knock the scope out of line and missed on 46, 47 and 48. Plus side, I realized the probably and switched to my Mark III for the rest of the morning. I brought 3 squirrels home with the Mark III. My eyes were 25 years younger then. :(
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.