How closely does an RG "clone" a 336?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
alphalimafoxtrot

How closely does an RG "clone" a 336?

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Guys and gals,

I've been on the fence, so to speak, about my next (second!) Rossi levergun and have considered the RG in 30-30. I have a couple questions about it.
Is the RG a near-identical clone of a Marlin 336?
If I was to get an RG in 30-30, would there be any possibility of retrofitting Marlin wood furniture to the Rossi version?

That's it - thanks for listening!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How closely does an RG "clone" a 336?

Post by Ranch Dog »

alphalimafoxtrot wrote:Guys and gals,

I've been on the fence, so to speak, about my next (second!) Rossi levergun and have considered the RG in 30-30. I have a couple questions about it.
Is the RG a near-identical clone of a Marlin 336?
If I was to get an RG in 30-30, would there be any possibility of retrofitting Marlin wood furniture to the Rossi version?
Oh boy??? Owning both, I think the RG is a Marlin clone in concept that being the action. Some commonality has been found with the ejector and extractor I believe but as far as wood, I cannot remember any mention. I just walked out and looked at a standing rack of the RGs and Marlins. I think you would have to go back to the 336RC to get close for a match of the wood but don't want to take my rifles apart to check. Honestly, in that you are thinking of the swap and don't own the RG yet, I would just buy a Marlin and save yourself of the trouble. In fact, that would be my recommendation in general in that the Rio Grande has been dropped. Rossi has a reputation for not providing parts support once a model has been dropped.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Thanks Michael -

I had no idea the Rio Grande was no longer offered. Tells you what I know! I had been surfing the Gunbroker site and saw several "NIB" RG's at decent prices.

Thanks anyway - I am still interested, whether it's a "real" 336 or an RG.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Greebe

Post by Greebe »

Not sure why you would buy the Rossi when you can get the genuine Marlin 336 for cheaper. Right now on Buds the Rossi is $540 vs $400 for the Marlin. I like the Rossi M92's because they are the only affordable 1892 on the market but the Marlin is hands down a better made rifle. Seems like a no brainer to get the American made Marlin.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Except Marlins are no longer Marlins.

I would buy the cheaper of the two no matter which one it was if I wanted one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:Except Marlins are no longer Marlins.

Yep! Except that I'd probably go over the "Marlin" with a finer toothed comb that I would the Rossi. Too many horror stories since Marlin left New Haven..

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Agreed, both the new Marlins and the Rossi have quality issues that you have to look out for. Not that they are bad guns, but you need to do your own QC work on that exact rifle before laying down your money. IMHO, the best lever guns (in 30-30, 45-70, and pistol calibers) coming out of factories at the moment are the new Henry's unless you want to pay considerably more for an Uberti or other such import.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:

Yep! Except that I'd probably go over the "Marlin" with a finer toothed comb that I would the Rossi. Too many horror stories since Marlin left New Haven..

Make smoke,
Can't say I'd go with the cheaper one. Price is always a factor but it is NEVER the only factor.
I CAN say I'd go over either of them with a fine toothed comb. I've seen both Marlin and Rossi new on the shelf that needed help. Reports are however that Remington has finally more or less got their act together and the current flow of Marlins are correctly manufactured.

Since the RG is no longer in production but the Marlins ARE being produced even if it is by Remington and since production numbers for the Marlin have probably been much higher I'd assume parts would be more available for the Marlin and there might be more likely customer support on the Remlin side.

I usually consider in a very mild way the potential that the firearm will retain some sort of resale value. I don't as a rule sell off guns but it is a factor. I think it is funny that in some cases the Marlin may have better resale value but the Rossi might actually bring more money parted out without the receiver than it might as a complete firearm...