Is the Rio Grande really out of production now?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
alphalimafoxtrot

Is the Rio Grande really out of production now?

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Guys,

is this true - the RG is discontinued from Rossi's lever gun lineup?

Dang.

where do they tell you this - since it doesn't appear on their catalog website. least, it still shows the RG as an item in their roster.

Anyway, I've been wanting to obtain a classic .30-30 lever and it's either older Marlins/Glenfields/store brands like JC Higgins & Sears, or a Rio Grande. I don't like the tube-feed style on the Henry.

thanks guys!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the Rio Grande really out of production now?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, dropped in 2015. All "new" rifles you see are old stock.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

well dangit Michael.....I'm feeling like I'm gonna get one....regardless of the fact it's been dropped....NIB at less than 300 bucks interests me a great deal!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

alphalimafoxtrot wrote:well dangit Michael.....I'm feeling like I'm gonna get one....regardless of the fact it's been dropped....NIB at less than 300 bucks interests me a great deal!
At that price Adam I'd buy it too. KY Guns had some great prices on RG4570 blems a month or so ago but unfortunately they are gone. I really like my RG4570 even though I'm known as a 444 guy in the Marlin circles. Here is how I feel about the RG. Had Marlin ever figured out how to get a 45-70 Govt past the lever, like Rossi did, there would have never been a 444 Marlin. I like my 444s but I like that little light, slim framed 45-70 is nothing less that holding a tiger by the tail!
Michael
KG4570

Post by KG4570 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeap, dropped in 2015. All "new" rifles you see are old stock.

Wow, feeling rather lucky that I was recently able to pick up a "new" RG4570 online! Seems most shops are sold out so it looks to be very slim picking left in Canada. Now if I could just get lucky enough to find a Stainless RG4570! If anyone out there knows of a shop in Canada that has one please let me know. Thanks!
Bearcat55

Post by Bearcat55 »

Funny how silent Rossi is about the disappearance of the RG. No acknowledgement in their social media, poor options for contacting Miami Lakes by phone or email. They are still listed by major distributors just zero inventory. I'm left disappointed, frankly. I'd have bought a new 30-30 if they were reasonably easy to find. Looks like my best option remains finding a decent used JM 336 Marlin. Seems like Rossi is losing what should have been a successful market segment. Does anyone have any inside info on their reasoning? Any chance they will return to at least limited production? -bc
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Bearcat55 wrote:Does anyone have any inside info on their reasoning? Any chance they will return to at least limited production? -bc
I'm pretty certain no one with the inside scoop at Rossi participates here so it would be tough to know the real story, anything else is simply speculation. Rossi seems to have moved away from special runs, the last seen was their 44 Mag revolver offered through Academy Sports & Outdoors stores and that has been about 3 years ago. Legacy has not offered anything through Rossi, the last being a very short run of the R92 chambered in 480 Ruger. It would surprise me if we saw the Rio Grande again. I did contact the Talo Group about considering special runs of Rio Grandes chambered in 32 Win Spl, 35 Rem, & 38-55 Win, and was told it would be taken to their investors but I've never heard or seen anything since.

The have also dropped the Wizard & the Single Shot with the same lack of fanfare.
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

One spotted in the gun library at Cabela's in Tulalip, WA this afternoon.
alphalimafoxtrot

Michael,

It would have been nice to have seen the RG offered in .35 Remington, before Rossi "pulled the plug" so to speak.

I am still going to most likely pick up an RG soon as I can find a decent used or new one in .30-30 Win. Course, I also want a Sears 100 and a Marlin 336 but I am going off tangent...LOL

Adam
Deleted User 2826

Post by Deleted User 2826 »

Very respectfully,
Buck
Last edited by Deleted User 2826 on 07 Jul 2016 04:06, edited 1 time in total.