Enfield Sporter Project

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Enfield Sporter Project

Post by Ranch Dog »

The other day I had a few minutes so I pulled up my TMT Cast Bullet Design software and loaded the a 303 British SAAMI spec chamber. Then I just let it do its thing for a bullet at 2500 FPS with the 1:10 twist. Here is what it spit out...
TLC314200RF_Ver_01.jpg
...Two hundred grains of lead.[hr]I found the pictures of the SMLE scout that I mentioned earlier. I really went back & forth over this rifle but I already have the Savage 10FCM 308 Win. Had it been a 303 British, I would have bought it in a minute.
SMLE_scout_01.jpg
SMLE_scout_02.jpg
[hr]To put this into perspective though, had I seen your rifle, I would have bugging you about selling it. I really like the look and it would be a big brother to my Sav 340 as they both kind of look alike. You really have done a great job, well done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Since I tinker more than I shoot, I've decided to back away from the cast bullets for a while on my deer rifles since the cost of a good mold, sizing die, and gas checks will likely pay for a lifetime supply of jacketed bullets for hunting. But...that 200gr bullet sure looks good. I'll be watching how it works for you.

Thanks for the compliment. I was shooting for a light and functional milsurp, but was kind of surprised when it all came together. I don't think I'm giving up anything to a modern rifle and it's neat knowing that this rifle was sent to England, served in battle, and now continues to be valued and useful.

Next up will be to find another to convert to 45-70.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Since I tinker more than I shoot, I've decided to back away from the cast bullets for a while on my deer rifles since the cost of a good mold, sizing die, and gas checks will likely pay for a lifetime supply of jacketed bullets for hunting. But...that 200gr bullet sure looks good. I'll be watching how it works for you.
I know what you mean. At times I look at what I have tied up in casting and it is crazy.
klr wrote:Thanks for the compliment. I was shooting for a light and functional milsurp, but was kind of surprised when it all came together. I don't think I'm giving up anything to a modern rifle and it's neat knowing that this rifle was sent to England, served in battle, and now continues to be valued and useful.
You hit the nail on the head with with your work!
klr wrote:Next up will be to find another to convert to 45-70.
I'm looking forward to it.
Michael
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

Here is mine. A1941 Lithgow Enfield made in Australia. I've since cut barrel back to 19 inches.I didn't have much luck with cast but 174gn round nose shoots good out of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice looking!
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Nice! It looks like the scope sits low. What scope mount is that?
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I shot a couple quick groups today. Wind was gusty and 15-25 mph.

Lower right group shot @ 55 yds:
Hornady 150gr JSP Interlock
40.5gr IMR 3031
2525 fps avg, SD around 50
3 Rounds
1.4"

I removed some brush and pushed my target back to 75 yds.

Upper left group shot @ 75 yds:
Hornady 150gr JSP Interlock
41gr IMR 3031 (This is max on the mfg website.)
2535 fps avg, sd around 40
4 rounds
1.7" and the first shot was the one on top.

Observations:

No pressure signs - Primers and brass look fine, rifle fed and ejected fine.

I thought it a little odd that adding .5gr more powder didn't make much difference in velocity.

I'd like a little more accuracy, but I think I have a good starting point. The rifle does recoil noticeably more, and one shot in the first group knocked my ear muffs askew and the scope tapped my glasses. The second group I really tightened my grip and maybe that accounted for better group.

I think I'll load up some with charges from 39 - 41gr and wait for the wind to die down.

Edit: After I posted the above I tried another group of 4 at 75 Yds. Winds were about half of what they were before

41gr H335
2488 fps avg, SD of 74
2.9" group.

Although I started 1 grain under the max load, I had sooty case necks and velocity was much less than I expected given that Hodgdon lists 37gr@ 2430 fps and 42gr@ 2706 fps with a 24" barrel.
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

klr wrote:Nice! It looks like the scope sits low. What scope mount is that?
I got the mount off ebay. It was used. It was one of the no tap mounts but it always came loose so I epoxied it and then drilled and tapped it. It is just the right height so when I shoulder the rifle it is right at eye level. I got my 7 pointer with it at a little over 200 yards. I was just going to give up hunting for the day as it was getting dark when he stepped out on to a long logging trail which is the only place where you can see that far. I was glad I had it with the scope for a long shot like that for me.
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

Those are good groups. They look about what I get. The picture has my targets as I was sighting in the scope. It will shoot 2 or 3 inch groups and sometimes better at 80 yard. Holds the same at about 120 yard. I dont have a bench rest so I do wobble a little.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Time for an update.

I bought some copper remover and spent three evenings this week cleaning the bore. I got a lot of copper out.

After work today I loaded and shot three groups of four rounds. I used 41 grains of 3031. No chrono this time, but this gave me around 2500fps before.

75 yds, all shot quickly with no cooling time between shots. I allowed about 10 minutes between groups.

First group was the same as I was shooting before: Hornady 150gr SP. 2.25" but the first shot was in the green square (Point of aim), and the second was right above it. Shot 3 was high and shot 4 was to the right. Bleh.

Second group with Sierra 150gr SP. 0.67". +guns First shot was lowest.

Third group with Prvi 150 gr SP. About 1.5", but first two were in the red square.

So, I realize this is an extremely limited sample, but I'm really happy with the Sierra group. One other thing that is positive is the the first 2 shots hit within an inch of each other with each group. Further, the bore was completely clean and cold for the first group and it put the bullets right at the point of aim.

Obviously more testing is in order, especially with the Sierra bullets. With the vertical dispersion I'm getting, I may need to take a look at my bedding.