Opening a Lee sizer

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Opening a Lee sizer

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Who here has opened up a Lee sizer and what did you do to make sure the hole stayed round? I need to get one in .457 and open it to .458 or 459 for the Wizard. He likes fat bullets :D .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Opening a Lee sizer

Post by Archer »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Who here has opened up a Lee sizer and what did you do to make sure the hole stayed round? I need to get one in .457 and open it to .458 or 459 for the Wizard. He likes fat bullets :D .

Make smoke,
Have you considered contacting Lee for the right part rather than modifying existing?
http://leeprecision.com/custom-lube-and-size-kit/
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Who here has opened up a Lee sizer and what did you do to make sure the hole stayed round? I need to get one in .457 and open it to .458 or 459 for the Wizard. He likes fat bullets.
I've tried it a couple of times using lapping compound and soft lead bullets and then simply by trying to hone it. Oh, I also tried using a reamer. Nothing was successful I thought so I have stuck with special ordering them as Archer suggested. In the long run with thousands of bullets passing through them they cost next to nothing.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Archer wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:Who here has opened up a Lee sizer and what did you do to make sure the hole stayed round? I need to get one in .457 and open it to .458 or 459 for the Wizard. He likes fat bullets :D .

Make smoke,
Have you considered contacting Lee for the right part rather than modifying existing?
http://leeprecision.com/custom-lube-and-size-kit/
Unfortunately .457 is the biggest they make. Guess I'll see what they want for a special order .459.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Just took a look. Lee asks $34 for a custom sizer with a 6 to 8 week lead time. Since I have a Lyman 450 I took a quick look at Track of the Wolf and Buffalo Arms, both have the sizer for under $30. Think maybe I'll go with the 450 this time.

Make smoke,
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Lee custom made parts are usually 3 weeks faster then quoted. I understand though the need to get it faster. Keep us posted to how the 450 works out for you.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Just took a look. Lee asks $34 for a custom sizer with a 6 to 8 week lead time. Since I have a Lyman 450 I took a quick look at Track of the Wolf and Buffalo Arms, both have the sizer for under $30. Think maybe I'll go with the 450 this time.

Make smoke,
Buffalo Arms also has quite a few custom sizes for the Lyman sizer.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yep, it looks like they make sizes that Lyman doesn't. The 450 i an old work horse I've had for years a lot of lead and lube have been through it and it just keeps working. With roper care I don't think I'll wear it out :D .

Make smoke,
sawzall

Opening a Lee sizer

Post by sawzall »

Lee sizers are easy to open up. I use a rod a little smaller than the opening wrapped with wet or dry sand paper lubed with penetrating fluid like WD40. Then just push down and roll it on an old mouse pad. Depending on how much I need to go, I start out with 320 grit and once close start going finer until I finish polish with 800 grit. I find screwdrivers work good for smaller sizers and for my .457" I used a 1/4" drive socket extension. They all need to be strait, obviously. This has worked for me with both the Lee and Lyman size dies without fail. Keeps them nice and concentric. I believe there is a YouTube video of someone doing it this way.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
I have lapped or reamed to larger diameter numerous sizing dies but mostly Lyman.
If it is just a few thousanths I use a rod with metal paper wrapped around it inserted into the die and rolled on a hard flat surface like you are rolling out pie crust. I have a set of hole gauges that get used to check real diameter.
If it is going to be a major diameter change the first is applied enough heat to get the sizer red hot and let it air cool. Soft metal works much easier. On a drill press I either drill to the rough hole size then ream or just ream if the change is not real drastic. Then finish off with the rod wrapped in metal paper on the flat hard surface.
I use to roll the sizer on my pant leg which also works but it will wear out the top of your pants if you do this often.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.