4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.
P89DC

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Post by P89DC »

Iplayfarmer wrote:...I'll be shooting primarily targets, but I will carry the pistol in the back country for defense against the four legged type of attacker. I want to be accurate, and I want to be fast. It sounds like I can't have both with one gun....
I have double action for my woods guns, double action is mandatory for me, I can't imagine I can use a single action in a volatile situation. I think they compliment a lever gun just as well as a single action. For actual protection, in the woods, where the problems are cougar or black bear, my preferred carry is 357 (covers two legged creature in the parking lot too).

Here in Colorado I carry a 3" Ruger SP-101 in 357. I don't have any trouble keeping it on target when I shoot one of those "shooting balls" with 158gn full-house magnum loads. For around the camp I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag that I had cut down to 4.5". If I was buying my first woods/range 357, I'd get what I bought back in 1994, a 4" GP-100:

44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

P89DC wrote:
Iplayfarmer wrote:...I'll be shooting primarily targets, but I will carry the pistol in the back country for defense against the four legged type of attacker. I want to be accurate, and I want to be fast. It sounds like I can't have both with one gun....
I have double action for my woods guns, double action is mandatory for me, I can't imagine I can use a single action in a volatile situation. I think they compliment a lever gun just as well as a single action. For actual protection, in the woods, where the problems are cougar or black bear, my preferred carry is 357 (covers two legged creature in the parking lot too).

Here in Colorado I carry a 3" Ruger SP-101 in 357. I don't have any trouble keeping it on target when I shoot one of those "shooting balls" with 158gn full-house magnum loads. For around the camp I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag that I had cut down to 4.5". If I was buying my first woods/range 357, I'd get what I bought back in 1994, a 4" GP-100:

we seem to have common ideas. My favorite carry, and generally preferred "back-up", is a 3" SP101 .357. In my case, I'm not looking for it to be a period match for whatever long gun I may be carrying, but a match for my ability to use it for it's intended purpose.

You also mentioned cutting down the SRH. How did that work out? I have the 7-1/2" .44 mag SRH, and have considered having a couple inches "lopped off". Would certainly make it easier/faster to unholster when needed.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
P89DC

Post by P89DC »

The lower center revolver is my chopped SRH. Functionally it has worked out well, the shorter barrel is much easier to handle. The cosmetics could be better, the gunsmith made choices I wouldn't do again but it was a learning experience. Once I get my shop up and running I'll clean it up.
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

Well, based in large part on the advice from this forum, I ordered a 4.5" Blackhawk convertible yesterday in 357 mag/38 special. It also comes with the 9mm cylinder. I got the blued finish with the synthetic grips. I wanted wood grips, but the synthetic is what was available. I will likely get some wood grips in the future.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm anxious for the range report, targets and other pics. And, your choice of "leather".

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Iplayfarmer wrote:Well, based in large part on the advice from this forum, I ordered a 4.5" Blackhawk convertible yesterday in 357 mag/38 special. It also comes with the 9mm cylinder. I got the blued finish with the synthetic grips. I wanted wood grips, but the synthetic is what was available. I will likely get some wood grips in the future.
Quite often the Ruger store offers different grip choices.

I have Hogue Exotics on my Python and my 4" 686. I went with Laminated rosewood with their custom fishscale checkering. I'd like to put the same on the rest of my smaller than .44 Mag revolvers but that'd add up pretty quickly. I THINK the rubber grips might be my preference for the .44s but I have to admit I haven't really done a lot of experimentation there.

I think I may need to get some new grips for my 29 since they have the Smith factory target grips but at the moment it is a safe queen and I haven't wrung it out.

WRT leather
On the double action revolvers I like Bianchi Cyclone 111 holsters.
For Semis I tend to gravitate to Galco Avenger style hosters or Bianchi 5 pancakes.
For single action revolvers a lot of the guys I know tend to go for El Paso Saddlery. I've used them for semi holsters for hard to find models and their work is nice. I think their single action rigs are top notch and can be had with lots of options.
http://www.epsaddlery.com/
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

I actually have a holster already waiting for this gun. I did a big trade recently that involved saddles, guns, car stereos, and a bunch of other stuff. I hope it fits the gun.
ryjo

Post by ryjo »

I don't have a blackhawk but I do have a GP-100 with 6" barrel. At the range it's fun to reach out to 50+ yards and see what I can do with it. Probably couldn't do that with the shorter barrels. OTOH, I've taken the same gun backpacking and it is heavy - as in almost 3 lbs! Not really a backpacking gun. The weight makes it better for the recoil sensitive though - this is my wife's favorite gun to shoot because the weight tames the recoil. Everything is a tradeoff I guess so you probably just have to decide how you intend to use it most. The blackhawk may not have as big of a weight difference so the 6.5" may be the better bet.

But a smaller framed, shorter barrel 357 is on my "to-buy" list so I can have a woods gun without lugging all the extra weight around.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have the GP100 6", S&W 686 in both 4" and 6" and S&W 19s in 6" and 4".
I really like the 19s for the weight and size factors. I wasn't going to get the 4" 19 but there were a couple that I just had to make an offer on and I think I got a decent deal.

I wouldn't mind getting a model 60 for the range since stainless is a little easier to care for.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Archer wrote:I have the GP100 6", S&W 686 in both 4" and 6" and S&W 19s in 6" and 4".
I really like the 19s for the weight and size factors. I wasn't going to get the 4" 19 but there were a couple that I just had to make an offer on and I think I got a decent deal.

I wouldn't mind getting a model 60 for the range since stainless is a little easier to care for.
The Model 60 is really nice, but the 3" SP101 is really nice too ;)

jd