Cracked Stock

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
retAFShooter

Re: Cracked Stock

Post by retAFShooter »

Ok, my local gun shop finally gave up on Rossi getting my CJ fixed. They found another one at another dealer and they got it for me in exchange for my broken one. I guess they will sell the fixed one when they get it. I got it the other day and shot it. I'm not sure it will be as good a shooter as my old one, but we shall see. I had a hard time getting the scope zeroed in and then ran out of ammo at the range. Will continue the zeroing later. I looked at the stock bolt and it is the same old design. I'm going to look at trying to improve on it before it breaks. To be continued....
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Keep us posted to round count n how it holds up
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

Ok, I had another session at the range with the new CJ. I think I have it zeroed in, but I'm still a little shaky with it, even with the scope at 50 yards(see target photo). My son and I shot a box of 50 rounds that day and no cracks yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That is some good shooting considering the cylinder and forcing cone features of the CJ. I've been pondering the CJ wood stock/frame junction and I'm not sure what can be done to protect it. Rossi is need to change the design to be like that of the Wizard (same type of stock) and not a revolver.
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Ranch Dog wrote:That is some good shooting considering the cylinder and forcing cone features of the CJ. I've been pondering the CJ wood stock/frame junction and I'm not sure what can be done to protect it. Rossi is need to change the design to be like that of the Wizard (same type of stock) and not a revolver.

Jury is still out for me, looky here,,,see this target I use for my emoticon,,,,thats 141 feet 45 Colt out of CJ.
now I did have some work done, but when I saw not one but 2 targets like that,,,true the lighting and conditions were perfect, I got new glasses,,,,,I still am in dis belief.
I'm just saying, Sure long goofy cylinder that resembles a low bucks bagging machine, forcing cone resemble a funnel from Harbor Freight, their just may be hope. :?
Last edited by Bibletotingunslinger on 22 Sep 2015 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
P89DC

Post by P89DC »

retAFShooter wrote:Well, it finally happened, been worried about this happening for quite a while. Ever since I had to replace the broken stock bolt stopper last fall. I was shooting it yesterday at the range but didn't notice it until I stated to clean it this morning.

Hopefully this will be covered by my "lifetime warranty?" from Davidson's.
I'm a little late but I would glue the broken stock with yellow wood glue. No prepping the wood, no sanding, just carefully separate the break, glue it and hold together for a few hours. The glued joint will be stronger than the original wood.
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

AMEN on the wood glue, used that trick on a hog leg and a long rifle.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

If the grain of the wood is at the wrong angle to the screw it will crack easily. Sounds like that has happened a lot. Should use a laminated stock.
waxclan

Post by waxclan »

Brand new to the forum, bought mine from Buds and had it shipped to my FFL. Found the stock cracked on both sides of the tang. Grain runs straight up and down, so I called Rossi and they will send me one out but they are on back order. It seemed the fit is poor, so once it is dry I'll see what is causing the "pivot" in the fit. Has anyone tried fitting the Adv Tech Rossi Shotforce Tactical Stock yet?
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

I gave up on the CJ, wasn't going to wait for the second cracked stock. I sold the CJ a few days ago.