Food plot

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Food plot

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:Nice Kubota m series tractor to. I'm glad that planter makes it easier, was hard to adjust it's fertilizer dispersion as well as seed?
It is an M8540, I've owned it for four years this month and love it!

The fertilizer has adjustable rates just like the seeder side and you can open or close rows. There are 8 fertilizer rows and 14 seed rows.
f100cleveland wrote:That makes it way to easy. I bet you miss getting all dusty dirty sitting in that heated, air conditioned cab. Can ya tell I'm jealous. Nice
It is almost a must here with the heat, killer bees, and other stingers! I do wish that some of the old stuff was around as it would give us options. This is not farm country, not for 150 miles in any direction, so there just isn't anything to buy. The farming that you encounter beyond that distance is huge country, corporate stuff, and they just don't have stuff that is sized right for food plots.

I took this video while my buddy Joe was operating the tractor.

[youtube][/youtube]

Do we have any other food plotters here?
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Love that not like older planters that have matching fertilizer outputs or none and you have to do multiple passes after each phase from seed to fertilizer looks like that pto is pleasant to hook up as well
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I do put out some food plots but not in the magnitude you do. I'll planting 1 1/2 acres of sunflower and buckwheat strip for about 2 ft wide per strip this week. I use a cultivator to lay out my rows, drop seeds by hand then disc them in. Hopefully, it will be a decent dove field come September. If not the deer and quail will love it.

I'll be planting 1 1/2 acres of soy beans in the same method as above. I'll be planting about 3 acres (5 locations) of "Quail Unlimited" seed packs. Somewhere in this mix, I might put in a few rows of corn, maybe mix soy beans and corn in the same rows.

Here an enhanced topo image of the back half of my farm with the food plots I had laid out a a couple years ago. The crops will be in different spots this year, but the food plot areas will be the same. The topo photo represents about 25 acres of my little 50 acre farm.

During firearm deer season I usually hunt with friends elsewhere, it's nice to have a place to bow hunt in the evening/mornings just out side my door. We've own the farm for 15 years. In that time with these food plots areas sewn, I've probably averaged one deer a season, 20-30 dove, 10-20 squirrels and rabbits and 5 quail a year ( I mostly release quail for hunting and dog work, so those don't count). Yeah, with my limited equipment, it a lot of works. But, come fall I'm so glad I did it. I consider soy beans, sunflowers and other food plots as food crops. They attract animals that end up on my plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:Love that not like older planters that have matching fertilizer outputs or none and you have to do multiple passes after each phase from seed to fertilizer…
I was very pleased with the fertilizer range as well. Depending on the actual bulk density of the product; about 160#/acre to 1800#/acre!
akuser47 wrote:…looks like that pto is pleasant to hook up as well
What is weird about the PTO is that the slip clutch is at the tractor vs. on the implement. The PTO/Clutch was packaged separately in the large crate and I didn't mess with it until near my first run. I could not figure out what was wrong as I could not get the clutch on the PTO. I sent my contact in China an email and he answered me overnight that in China the clutch is on the tractor side so you only need one clutch for all your implements. It slips on and off easy enough but it is heavier.

Moontree, you have a very nice setup. It looks like a critter could be very happy on the place and not wander off! It is always nice to be able to walk out the door with expectations of bring fare back for the table!
Michael