Need help with scat ID!!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
triggerpull

Need help with scat ID!!

Post by triggerpull »

Went hunting in the woods recently after a major snow storm mostly cause I wanted to get valuable track info from the snow. Found what I believe are bedding areas with some green oval scat in them--not like any deer scat I've seen anywhere else before. Most of the tracks I found in the snow appeared to be pawed with toes--though the freeze/thaw cycle made it hard to see precise definition. I came upon an older tree blow-down which next too it's up-ended root structure there was a motherload of scat piles--some several inches deep, 1/2 foot wide and consisting of over 50 individual green oval pellets. There were a half dozen such piles--some of which were obviously old--but one or too that looked "slimy-glistening" fresh. I'm at a complete loss as to what animals may be doing this as I have never seen anything like this in the woods before. The area is in coastal Maine--very heavy woods but not far from settlements. I know the subject of scat inevitably will degrade into jokes--but please--serious help will be appreciated!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need help with scat ID!!

Post by Ranch Dog »

A picture sure would have helped.
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Ranch Dog wrote:A picture sure would have helped.
I know--I did not have a camera with me and I regret it! NEXT time I go in I will! Pellets were smooth green and no evidence of other partially-digested material.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Without a picture or even a description of the size of the individual pellets, it's kind of hard to figure out. But there are some logical things to walk through. First, did it look anything like this, Trigger? This is wild hog.

Or were the individual pellets smaller? But even at that, I've seen the pellets of piglets that were smaller too, like the size of moose or even down to the size of deer.

Here's the thing, you guys do have coyote, fox, bobcat, bear, wolf...all the typical "pawed" predators. All of them can at times have unusual scat that might be green and pellet shaped because of a seasonal food source and they all have a territory and they will all have "A" or several favorite places where they deposit scat to mark that territory.

Thing is, that's usually only seasonal and a one off condition of the scat for predators. Not a concentration that would have occurred over and over with any of those predator. They may keep going back their, but the scat would not always contain the same food and so would look different.

So my guess would be, the "pawed" tracks were from some predator that just happened to be as curious as you were about the critter that was laying down that scat and you just happened across their tracks instead of the mystery pooper. ;~)

Sorry, couldn't resit just one.

There is also the possibility it's just a bear. You said it's near the coast and bear eat all manner of coastal sea grasses and plants. Same thing with moose, which you guys have, who will eat particular things seasonally that can make the scat look odd. And they will keep going back and back till something in the weather or food source changes. And uprooted trees are a favorite wind break for critters of all kinds.

Anyway, that's my initial thoughts. With the way wild hogs are overrunning some states cause their fish and wildlife departments are so behind the curve on them, that's ALWAYS my first instinct. Especially in states that have a lot more land than hunters or a lot of government controlled land.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Could it have been porcupine? Here is a pic of some.
porcupine scat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Yes--I apologize I did not have pictures cause I did not have a camera. After much research and thinking--I think steelbanger hit the target--I've concluded most likely porcupine scat. The ground is very soft and anything heavy would have likely imprinted deep--and I didn't see that. In addition--the tree stump did have a hollow area--and I think the odds are very good it's a den, and above all the multiple piles of various ages I think makes it highly unlikely--much as I wish it to be otherwise--deer or moose. thanks for your responses guys!
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

jdb wrote:Without a picture or even a description of the size of the individual pellets, it's kind of hard to figure out. But there are some logical things to walk through. First, did it look anything like this, Trigger? This is wild hog.

Or were the individual pellets smaller? But even at that, I've seen the pellets of piglets that were smaller too, like the size of moose or even down to the size of deer.

Here's the thing, you guys do have coyote, fox, bobcat, bear, wolf...all the typical "pawed" predators. All of them can at times have unusual scat that might be green and pellet shaped because of a seasonal food source and they all have a territory and they will all have "A" or several favorite places where they deposit scat to mark that territory.

Thing is, that's usually only seasonal and a one off condition of the scat for predators. Not a concentration that would have occurred over and over with any of those predator. They may keep going back their, but the scat would not always contain the same food and so would look different.

So my guess would be, the "pawed" tracks were from some predator that just happened to be as curious as you were about the critter that was laying down that scat and you just happened across their tracks instead of the mystery pooper. ;~)

Sorry, couldn't resit just one.

There is also the possibility it's just a bear. You said it's near the coast and bear eat all manner of coastal sea grasses and plants. Same thing with moose, which you guys have, who will eat particular things seasonally that can make the scat look odd. And they will keep going back and back till something in the weather or food source changes. And uprooted trees are a favorite wind break for critters of all kinds.

Anyway, that's my initial thoughts. With the way wild hogs are overrunning some states cause their fish and wildlife departments are so behind the curve on them, that's ALWAYS my first instinct. Especially in states that have a lot more land than hunters or a lot of government controlled land.
Never heard of wild hog this far north--I guess it could happen one day--though winters here tend to be severe. On the other hand--the area I hunt is known for it's abundant bear--and Maine has more black bear than any other state in the eastern US--and the problem is growing because hunting does not adequately keep their numbers in balance--even with baiting, trapping and dogs.
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Chupacabras. :lol: :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dan 444 wrote:Chupacabras. :lol: :lol:
I don't think they are that far North! Can't handle the cold as they are hairless.

Cuero, Texas is home of the Chupacabra!
Michael