It is coming together

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: It is coming together

Post by Ranch Dog »

I take the sights off every scoped rifle I own. I only own one unscoped rifle, a Rossi 62. Living and hunting in the land of the thorn bush, I don't want the barrel hanging up on a twig at the front sight. It always seemed to happen when that barrel was pointed at a hog. As the sight lets go of the twig, the whole damned bush jumps just like the hog does.

I started this with the Marlins, and I found a lot of corrosion under them on factory new rifles. My 336D and 1894S, two Talo special order rifles, had to be refinished by Marlin as the barrels where heavily pitted under the sights. I have only found light corrosion on the Rossi's but two of them, a R92 and the SCJ, had enough that the bluing is discolored. If I shot an open sight rifle, I would still remove the sights in the initial cleaning process.

I'm shooting the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 on all my leverguns except the R92s. At 1.5X if you look at the end of the barrel you will see it. If you look at a critter, you will not see it. On the R92s with the fixed 4X Weaver K4 Scout, you do not see the barrel.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:I take the sights off every scoped rifle I own. I only own one unscoped rifle, a Rossi 62. Living and hunting in the land of the thorn bush, I don't want the barrel hanging up on a twig at the front sight. It always seemed to happen when that barrel was pointed at a hog. As the sight lets go of the twig, the whole damned bush jumps just like the hog does.

I started this with the Marlins, and I found a lot of corrosion under them on factory new rifles. My 336D and 1894S, two Talo special order rifles, had to be refinished by Marlin as the barrels where heavily pitted under the sights. I have only found light corrosion on the Rossi's but two of them, a R92 and the SCJ, had enough that the bluing is discolored. If I shot an open sight rifle, I would still remove the sights in the initial cleaning process.

I'm shooting the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 on all my leverguns except the R92s. At 1.5X if you look at the end of the barrel you will see it. If you look at a critter, you will not see it. On the R92s with the fixed 4X Weaver K4 Scout, you do not see the barrel.
My problem with the rear was different than pricedo stated he had on the 30-30 as RD knows. The scope sits right on the rear sight not allowing it to be clamped down regardless of what position it is in. I wonder if the Rio Grande rear sight will fit and work on the 92 though as it is a true buck horn not like the 92 version.
Last edited by joec on 04 Sep 2012 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I take the sights off every scoped rifle I own. I only own one unscoped rifle, a Rossi 62. Living and hunting in the land of the thorn bush, I don't want the barrel hanging up on a twig at the front sight. It always seemed to happen when that barrel was pointed at a hog. As the sight lets go of the twig, the whole damned bush jumps just like the hog does.

I'm not second guessing what RD says cause we obviously hunt in different kinds of bush and he's probably shot more hogs on a slow weekend than I've shot in my entire life.
My hunting environment is usually deciduous/conifer mix where the game animals I hunt contrast against the background to a significant degree to permit the effective use of iron sights.
I have got into the habit of retaining & sighting in the iron sights and mounting my scopes with Warne QD rings cause if the gun goes for a tumble and the scope gets broke I'm still in the hunt or at the least still have a weapon for self defense & sustenance purposes til I get back to civilization.
Hunting in wilderness areas in Canada, Alaska & Maine are different than hunting close to civilization where your cell phone still works and you can see the top of your pick-up from your ground blind or tree stand.
In the wilderness a broken scope doesn't signal a "time out" for predatory Grizzly Bears, wolves or other wild critters who might consider your carcass as #1 on the dinner menu and a gun you can't hunt with doesn't do a good job of filling your belly with game if the rescue crew takes a week to find you.
The rules in Resolute, NWT, Canada & 50 mile outside of Ketchikan, Alaska are different than in Southern Texas and different environments call for different equipment & strategies.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
JBox818

Post by JBox818 »

pricedo wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:
I'm not second guessing what RD says cause we obviously hunt in different kinds of bush and he's probably shot more hogs on a slow weekend than I've shot in my entire life.
My hunting environment is usually deciduous/conifer mix where the game animals I hunt contrast against the background to a significant degree to permit the effective use of iron sights.
I have got into the habit of retaining & sighting in the iron sights and mounting my scopes with Warne QD rings cause if the gun goes for a tumble and the scope gets broke I'm still in the hunt or at the least still have a weapon for self defense & sustenance purposes til I get back to civilization.
Hunting in wilderness areas in Canada, Alaska & Maine are different than hunting close to civilization where your cell phone still works and you can see the top of your pick-up from your ground blind or tree stand.
In the wilderness a broken scope doesn't signal a "time out" for predatory Grizzly Bears, wolves or other wild critters who might consider your carcass as #1 on the dinner menu and a gun you can't hunt with doesn't do a good job of filling your belly with game if the rescue crew takes a week to find you.
The rules in Resolute, NWT, Canada & 50 mile outside of Ketchikan, Alaska are different than in Southern Texas and different environments call for different equipment & strategies.

I definitely agree with this I'd rather have a back up sight option that may snag a twig or two than not have any other option. Some of the places I hunt in southeast Alaska take a lot of miles or rugged terrain to get to, if I fell and banged the scope I'd be so upset if I had no way to continue the hunt. But this is Alaska mountains and water...
A little different than Texas