The Cooks Corner

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: The Cooks Corner

Post by donhuff »

Crawfish omelet. When you see that on the menu, I'm pretty sure your in the south :lol: Sounds and LOOK very good.

I use to make muscadine and scuppernong wine a long time ago. EVERYBODY loved it. I would have three or four 5 gal carboys working off at one time, in the kitchen. Man did that smell good! I never used it much in cooking though, only for drankin.

I tend to use cabernet sombit-ch for cooking and to drink with a meal. You ought to see the look on a fancy waiters face when I ask for a glass of that! And I too do not follow the rules about white and red. I like what I like, when I like it.

Here's an odd recipe for ya. Scuppernong HULL pie..... My mom would make jelly out of the muscadine juice (we mostly called them all scuppernongs, I guess cause it sounds better) Then one day she looked at all those hulls and deiced to put them to use rather than throw them out, cause they were full of flavor. She would put a LOT of surgar in them and boil them for a while. Then can them and save em for later when nothing was growing and fresh. She'd pour them into a baking dish (corning ware back then), then pour a half box of yellow cake mix on top. Put several pats of butter scattered around the surface, and then put bout a half cup of sugar on top of it all. Throw it in the oven and bake until the crust that rose up through it all, turned brown. Man was that good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I believe you two just described a perfect breakfast. Between singleshotcajun's mudbug omlette and Mrs Don's Mom's sugar treat .... just add coffee.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

And cheese..........DON'T FORGET THE CHEESE!
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

can't have a good omelet without shredded cheese (and jalapenos.... and bacon .... fine chopped onions...), so cheese included with every order :D

Besides, shredded cheese goes pretty good on the top of a whole lot of hot, sugary fruit deserts too. I like shredded cheese on top of my Jalapeno Apple Pie too.

Dang .... I'm getting hungry :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

boiled 20 lbs of shrimp Saturday night for mrs surv's 60th birthday, after spending most of my non-job related time last week to clean-up and preparation for 25 guests (many that had never been to one of our gigs). I had two pots going .... one with only a couple ounces of Zatarans liquid seasoning for flavoring and a bit of salt, the other pot with a little liquid Zatarans and about 25% of my normal volume of Zatarans dry mix added. It was amazing to see the antics of some of the guests fanning their mouths over a tiny bit of seasoning.... especially the corn (which does soak up a lot of seasoning anyway). We ended up with only 20 total, so had about 4 lbs of cooked shrimp left over to peel, wrap and freeze to use in other dishes in the next few months before it freezer burns.

I also bought an additional 4 lbs of the same 25-30 sized shrimp to grill, but didn't intend on thawing all six of the 4 lb boxes. So .... last night was peel and grill. Butter, wine, fresh rosemary, cayenne, salt, paprika .......... smoked with mesquite. Mrs surv stuffed and bacon wrapped some fresh picked jalapenos, and diced and refried some of the potatoes from the Saturday night boil. We're gonna have to invite someone over for dinner in the next couple of nights to help us eat all this :lol:
singleshotcajun

Post by singleshotcajun »

Sounds wonderful. Years ago I went on a kick of putting Zaterains liquid crab boil seasoning in all sorts of dishes. It is easy to over do it, not so great on Blue Bell Homemade vanilla ice cream :D
Last edited by singleshotcajun on 25 Jun 2014 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

singleshotcajun wrote:Sounds wonderful. Years ago I went on a kick of putting Zaterians liquid crab boil seasoning in all sorts of dishes. It is easy to over do it, not so great on Blue Bell Homemade vanilla ice cream :D

now that's funny .... and sounds like something I would try. It's amazing how certain things just work so well together that you would never think to try (well, most "normal" people wouldn't think to try). I cook a pretty mean Jalapeno/apple pie for Christmas, and also love my Tabasco on tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, eggs, chocolate candy....... (Tabasco is like Bacon .... goes with most anything)

Taste buds are strange critters aren't they :lol:

JD
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Yummmm, we stuffed, and bacon wrapped some home grown jalapenos the other night.

A guy in our rocket group drives a blue bell truck.................I gotta talk to him.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

donhuff wrote:Yummmm, we stuffed, and bacon wrapped some home grown jalapenos the other night.

A guy in our rocket group drives a blue bell truck.................I gotta talk to him.
I got two extra bottles of liquid Zatarans on sale if you need me to ship you a "care package" :lol:
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

had a pound and a half of the grilled shrimp left over, and I ain't about to waste that .... so last night after I finished mowing, that leftover shrimp got turned into etouffee, which did a disappearing act real fast.

Mrs surv volunteered to go with the church youth as a cook for the week, and left after church today. She has no idea what cooking for 74 people is going to be like. I wish her well. In the mean time I'll be cooking things I like for the week, like slow smoked venison meatloaf, crawfish gumbo, doves ..... I'll miss her, but I'm danged sure planning to eat good :D

JD