How to de-rust...

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
jamesgpobog

How to de-rust...

Post by jamesgpobog »

Cleaning an SKS for a family member. It was shot twice (literally 2 rounds) with corrosive ammo and put away 20 years ago without cleaning.

I have it disassembled, and it came apart easier than I thought it would. The bolt is stripped, the firing pin out, the FP stop was not frozen nor the fp though they both needed a punch. The bolt carrier is dark and rough but I think will polish/clean just fine.

The bore has some raised fuzzy spots, and the gas piston/op rod is rough.

What about putting the carrier and bolt in my vibe case cleaner?

What's the best home remedy to clean this? Windex? Vinegar? I really don't have the free cash to buy some fancy cleaners....
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: How to de-rust...

Post by akuser47 »

Hot water to neutralize the corrosive salts. The hotter the better reason is it will flush and evaporat fast the reason windex is always mentioned is it is water based with ammonia as main additive that helps it evaporate fast when at range with no hot water. If home hot water is cheaper. That's what I use right after shooting. Not sure on one that's been left go like that. I would still try to flush with hot water then use bore solvent and oil. Lube her back up. Inspect her to be sure she is safe. Keep us posted. And get pics if you can is she Russian,Chinese,Yugoslavian?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jamesgpobog

Post by jamesgpobog »

It's a ChiCom, same vintage as mine, i.e. late 80's. It's one of the good ones, screwed barrel and machined trigger group, spike bayonet. I think it will clean up pretty good, maybe a new firing pin. It needs a crossbolt too, the nut is gone.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Soak parts in Kroil, scrub parts, done. Next time you shoot commie ammo pour boiling hot water gas system once you pull the piston. Then oil it of course. I shot my SKS for years in this manner.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

weren't all the Chinese norinco barrels chrome lined?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
jamesgpobog

Post by jamesgpobog »

mr surveyor wrote:weren't all the Chinese norinco barrels chrome lined?
I believe so...
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

If you have rust on the firing pin you really need to consider a spring loaded firing pin as a safety upgrade.

A stuck firing pin could lead to a slam fires and accidental full auto.

I bought this one and it fit perfectly and works great.

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm
jamesgpobog

Post by jamesgpobog »

I have one of those in another gun and I'll be getting one for this too. It has cleaned up rather well, I had another stock pin that fits nice for now. The big issue now is that it has substantial negative sear engagement...but lots of heavy creep. It will get a Kivaari trigger soon...
singleshotcajun

Post by singleshotcajun »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Soak parts in Kroil, scrub parts, done. Next time you shoot commie ammo pour boiling hot water gas system once you pull the piston. Then oil it of course. I shot my SKS for years in this manner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28