Loading issue

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
indyranger

Loading issue

Post by indyranger »

I just returned from the range and the first firing of my 92, using 38 ammo. It seems to have an issue where after loading a couple of rounds the spring loaded cover would not allow me to push another round into the magazine. If I cycled an already loaded round into the chamber the cover would clear and allow me to push in another round. This condition was not constant but rarely could I load a full magazine today. I did disassemble, clean and reassemble the rifle prior to this first session. Other than this issue it worked great. Any ideas out there? Thanks ahead of time.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Loading issue

Post by akuser47 »

Have you tore her down yet? Also have you flushed her out break cleaner nonchlorinated to get her good and clean and degreased only do this with rear buttstock removed, and then reoil get inside reciever good and wet with oil use a bore mop for mag tube and barrel and cycle break her 250 to 500 times it does help to break it in. As to your loading gate issue the gate is over sprung to fix this you will need to hour glass the flat spring this need dissassembly to do so also you may have some sharp edges on the gate itslef that need to be smoothed out as well. You may also benefit from removeing a few coils of mag tube spring to make it a little easier to push rounds into the mag tube. I would replace the follower at this time as well. I am trying to hit all potential issues that may be causeing your issue please keep us posted. Many will be able to add to this to help. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
indyranger

Post by indyranger »

Thanks AK for the advise. I performed a fairly thorough cleaning then loaded and cycled about 30 rounds. The first couple, the issue repeated then the loading went smooth. Since this was the first outing I am going to wait until I have at least another time at the range before I try any changes in the springs.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I would any chance u get cycle decock and many have been pleased with this no ammo no snap caps it is just breaking her in it may help a bit on the loading gate. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

From the sound of it, there might be a restriction in the magazine tube, a dent or ding, that is causing the follower to bind. This isn't my idea but one that I learned and used from this very forum:
  • Remove the magazine tube
  • Find a socket that has the same outside diameter as the inside diameter of the tube (I found a perfect fit with ease)
  • Drop it in and use a wooden dowel to knock it on through
I sprayed the inside of the tube with oil and passed the socket through the tube several times. The follower would drop all the way through after that, end of problem.

You could check this rather quickly by pulling the magazine plug off and seeing if the follower freely drops from the tube.
Michael