R92 problem

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Rtbender

R92 problem

Post by Rtbender »

After my first time reassembling my new 92 the bolt was binding pretty badly on the bolt pin screw. Loosening it about 3/4 of a turn allows the bolt to move freely but after 30 or so rounds at the range the screw was almost falling out. My question is should I shorten the screw so I can tighten it all the way or should I use Loctite to hold it in place? I'd prefer to shorten the screw so I don't have to use Loctite every time a disassemble, but want to make sure it won't mess something else. It seems that others have had this problem but my searches havent come up with a fix. Please help.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: R92 problem

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rtbender wrote:After my first time reassembling my new 92 the bolt was binding pretty badly on the bolt pin screw. Loosening it about 3/4 of a turn allows the bolt to move freely but after 30 or so rounds at the range the screw was almost falling out. My question is should I shorten the screw so I can tighten it all the way or should I use Loctite to hold it in place? I'd prefer to shorten the screw so I don't have to use Loctite every time a disassemble, but want to make sure it won't mess something else. It seems that others have had this problem but my searches havent come up with a fix. Please help.
If you are talking the Lever & Breechbolt Pin Hole Screw Plug (#65), I would file it a little bit at a time till it is not an issue.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Agreed with RD it should be none issue keep us posted to your path.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Rtbender

Post by Rtbender »

I'm headed to the hardware store for supplies after work today, looks like a few areas will need to be fixed.

Last night I tried to install the new follower I bought but couldn't get the magazine tube cap off. I ended up removing the whole tube and using a cleaning rod to pop the cap out. The plug had several burs from drilling the screw hole through it and the inside of the forearm was full of metal shavings! It almost looked like everything was assembled and then drilled. Oh well, nothing that sand paper can't fix.
Rtbender

Post by Rtbender »

After sanding and checking the fit several times I got frustrated and gave the screw a few quick zips on the bench grinder. Now the screw is below flush and I am still having binding issues. I took a much closer look and it appears that the top of the hole is open and the bolt is binding on the screw threads. I did my best to get a picture on the inside of the receiver. What does everyone think? Should I modify the screw threads? Is the receiver just machined badly? Should I call Rossi and try a replacement screw?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Are you sure it isn't dragging on the Lever & Breechbolt Pin itself? If it isn't, maybe you could apply some fine lapping compound in the area of the plug hole and then work the bolt back and forth to some the inside of the plug hole.

That is all I see compared to my rifles, the area at the edge of the guide rib is slightly rough at the hole.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

You should be able to use a lapping compound like rd said to help it wear in our if this worries you then see if you can mirror polish and test and continue until it functions you my need to do alot of polishing to get her to start engaging correctly. It may have a higher ridge in the 1000 of an inch that is causeing this. I would stock up on breack cleaner non chlorinated and either polish by hand or tools or use lapping compound then flush with BC and oil and try it out and keep trying till it works.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Rtbender

Post by Rtbender »

Ranch Dog wrote:Are you sure it isn't dragging on the Lever & Breechbolt Pin itself?
Pretty sure. If I back the screw out a quarter turn it operates smoothly. When the screw is all the way tight it looks like the threads are sticking into the guide rib.

I have never heard of lapping compound so I'll have to do some research on that. For right now I might just ask Rossi for a replacement screw and see if filing down the first thread will help.
Bglenn

Post by Bglenn »

I have a fix, in case none of you have found one since last November:

Take the screw to a GOOD hardware store, find a small wire spring whose inside diameter will fit the screw. Cut one coil (it will look like a tiny lock washer) and thread it onto the spring up to the head. Then screw it back into the receiver. You shouldn't have the problem anymore. I bought two 92s last year, both with this same problem. On one, I was able to shorten the screw length with a file so that it would fit. However, the other gun's screw would go to far in so that the first threads would interfere with the bolt. No amount of filing would fix the second gun, not to mention that the screw is so small to work on. Frustrated, I called Steve Young, the famous 92 gunsmith in Texas and he told me about this fix. I found a spring, cut two coils, and the rest is history. It works!