357/38 Levergun Plated Bullet Load Advice

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 357/38 Levergun Plated Bullet Load Advice

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use the collet (rifle) FCD with all my short cartridge leverguns. When I had my business, I talked Lee into making these and they have continued to do so since I closed up shop. The make "runs" of these and they are listed under Custom Services :: Custom Factory Crimp Die Over-runs. I just looked through the list and 44 Mag & 45 Colt is available. Several weeks 357 Mag was up but apparently the run has sold out. Keep watching it will be back.

If you are lucky enough to own a Marlin 1894 chambered in 41 Mag, I noticed that those are back. It has been about a year since they had those as they turn slowly.

I actually use these collet FCDs with my 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt revolvers. I have a Bottlenecked Cartridge FCD that I had made for the 357 Mag, it is the same as the collet FCD except the collet is inverted and acts against the top of the die instead of the shellholder and has a larger adjustment range, so I use this with my 38 Spl revolver ammo. The claim to fame of the BNCFCD vs. FCD is that it is smoother in operation which is true.
Michael
talan2000

Post by talan2000 »

Michael,

Thank you for that info as well. I never knew what I was missing! I'll keep my eye open for that 357 FCD then as as well as considering the Profile Crimp die from Redding.

I'm curious to see how the seat/crimp combo die I have used (incorrectly it would seem) works out at the range.

Here's a pic which is sadly a little out of focus. In my own assesment the resulting roll crimp is a little heavier than I think is ideal, but which is probably fine - especially if a stout load (which this is not).

My inclination is to raise the die and see if I can get the crimp to be higher on the case mouth about 25% (1/4 turn?)

I do worry about the brass being weakend...

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Brass is a consumable. EXPECT and ACCEPT that it is going to wear out and need to be replaced. Avoid the urge to get 'one more load' out of brass that's used up. That said, brass for low pressure rounds where appropriate can be used quite a few times without problems.

Since most of my loads are for levers and semis I crimp most of my loads. I try to use enough crimp that I can't move the bullet pressing the nose into the bench with some pressure behind it. I adjust the crimp die for that and go with it. So far it's worked pretty well with most everything I load from 9mm to .45-70.