Very pleased with my new '92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
wdwrkr51

Re: Very pleased with my new '92

Post by wdwrkr51 »

What if I wanted to "seal" the wood with something like TRUOIL or maybe boiled linseed oil, without stripping the stain off? What issues would that cause me? Has anyone else tried to apply more finish over the factory finish, after simply wiping down with mineral spirits or maybe acetone, to remove handling oils and wax? Should I simply apply several coats of wax over the factory finish? Suggestions here are welcomed.
Non Carborundum est Illegitimae Nothus!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

wdwrkr51 wrote:What if I wanted to "seal" the wood with something like TRUOIL or maybe boiled linseed oil, without stripping the stain off? What issues would that cause me? Has anyone else tried to apply more finish over the factory finish, after simply wiping down with mineral spirits or maybe acetone, to remove handling oils and wax? Should I simply apply several coats of wax over the factory finish? Suggestions here are welcomed.
Applying the tru-oil over the resident Rossi "shoe polish" factory finish hasn't caused me any problems.
Try it and if you don't like the resulting finish strip it off the stock & start again......nothing to lose. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Insider

Post by Insider »

I love my new 92 in 454 Casull!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

wdwrkr51 wrote:What if I wanted to "seal" the wood with something like TRUOIL or maybe boiled linseed oil, without stripping the stain off? What issues would that cause me? Has anyone else tried to apply more finish over the factory finish, after simply wiping down with mineral spirits or maybe acetone, to remove handling oils and wax? Should I simply apply several coats of wax over the factory finish? Suggestions here are welcomed.

I just wiped my wood down with a damp cloth to get the orange dust off and let it dry. Then used a rag to scrub in dark "Old English" furniture polish for several coats, next used 1000 grt wet/dry paper to work some of the trub into the open pores (several more coats) and finished with 1500 grt, then paper coffee filters. I did this without removing the wood over the course of several days, with no harm to the blued steel. I prefer to use Danish Oil (with the wood removed and properly "prepped") after proper staining, but didn't have the oil available at the time and only wanted to "seal" the wood a bit. It was both painless and "adequate".

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

special thanks to Pricedo and his comments re applying TruOil directly over the stock factory finish on the Rossi '92. I had done this years ago on a Ruger 10/22 without any problems, but I just wasn't sure about whatever Rossi uses to finish out their stocks. I don't like starting something, hitting a major snag, and then having to remove and redo what I had already done. Your comments saved me that concern, and I am already up to four coats of TruOil on my new '92. Now the question is, do I stop now, after sealing the wood well, or do I continue until I have a glassy smooth finish - another 6 coats or so? Trouble is, I might be afraid to actually USE the rifle if I go that far, because I don't want to mess up my beautiful finish........ :) .

wdwrkr51
Non Carborundum est Illegitimae Nothus!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

It's users choice use as much until you like where it's at. your choice and can always be touched bake up.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!