So if I take my muzzleloader hunting?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
yukondog

Re: So if I take my muzzleloader hunting?

Post by yukondog »

Go to walmart, Lowes or home depot and get a box of latex rubber gloves and cut the finger tip's off, work just as good and a hole lot cheaper than paying shipping, and use a tooth pick for the nipple.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I inadvertently left a revolving carbine loaded with Pyrodex P for several years. I went to shoot it and 4 of the 6 were kind of weak but 2 were like I'd just loaded it. On the hand, I left a cap n ball revolver loaded for a couple of months and one just wouldn't go off. Ended up buggering up the cylinder to get that ball out and dump the powder. That was a $60 lesson.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
plinky56

Post by plinky56 »

Here in SE PA, I hunt exclusively with a ml. Inline CVA in early season and rifle season, and a TC Hawken in the late month long flintlock season. Get about 4-5 deer a year and never have trouble with moisture of any kind, rain, snow or humidity. Here's my secret for better than 30 years: black electrical tape. Here's what I do and how I do it. Cut 2 pieces of black electrical tape 2" long. Fold over 1/2" of the sticky side back onto the sticky side, so now each piece is 1 1/2" long and you have a non sticky finger and thumb hold to grab onto. Wipe off the muzzle end flat of the barrel and the flash hole(for the flintlock). Stick 'em fast, so that they're accessible when you are getting your weapon into position. They come off without a sound and pull off with moderate pressure. I don't shoot running game and try to not spook them with any sudden movement. Sometimes it takes up to a few minutes to grab my weapon and get it into position, so keep it accessible for pulling it off. Pull it off in between them looking your way, when you are getting your weapon and getting it into position. It also affords me to not have to 'unload' the gun during the season, so load it and forget it until it's shot or the season ends. The above is what I do for the flintlock. For the inline, I cover the barrel all the time but take off the primer hole tape when I place the 209 primer. I put on the tape over the primer hole when I get back to the truck, in order to keep it sealed up when not hunting. If you keep the inline muzzle up, your load won't be affected. Good hunting!