Bought a RG in 45-70 Gov today and need help with a scope

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Bought a RG in 45-70 Gov today and need help with a scope

Post by joec »

As the title doesn't say as I can't fix it I bought a Rio Grande. I'm looking for a scope that will do at least 500 yards and I know nothing about rifle scopes as in my 66 years I've never used them. I bought this gun today while at Bud's gun range and was looking at the scopes they have on hand in their brick and mortar location. Now my problem is I have one eye (lost left at 12 and now 66 the right eye isn't what they used to be) so here is my criteria for optics. I want as much view as possible in dim light and bright light (not meaning total darkness), a range that is set able to 500 yards (more would be better), price range is $250 or less. I also would need to know if any thing extra would be required to mount it. Two was in my price range but now sure if they would hold up long term (don't want to buy one every year or so), the two I looked at are Leopold and a Tri-Glo, Nikon is rather pricey like their cameras and Trijicon is out of the question since they start well above my price range.

As I've said I know nothing about scopes since I have zero experience with any so looking for some help on the scope as well as mounting it to the existing rail on the gun. All input will be greatly appreciated.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bought a RG in 45-70 Gov today and need help with a scop

Post by Ranch Dog »

I corrected the title and move this to the RG forum.

At 500-yard, what are you shooting at? Targets or critters?
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:I corrected the title and move this to the RG forum.

At 500-yard, what are you shooting at? Targets or critters?
I just figured that is the extent of my eye sight at high noon so really just a number pulled out of the air. Oh and thanks for correcting that as I was talking to someone on another board about the Ranch Hand. It would more than likely be a critter as it is going to be hard for me to find some place in my area to even sight this thing in. However I'm making a trip down to an in-laws place next month who has a farm in Tennessee so I was figuring on doing it there since he has plenty of room to set up a site even out to a 1000 yards. I know of no ranges in the Lexington, Kentucky area open to the public that has more than a 100 yards or so with most being indoor and big rifles you can't shot or even a shot gun.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hmmm... that is a pretty good distance out. One of the first considerations that comes to mind is finding a scope that has the adjustment range to handle in excess of 200" of drop. Might need a scope with a "Mil Dot" reticle to do the compensation. About 7 years ago I did quite a bit of bullet stability test with the Marlin rifles chambered in 44 Mag, both the 336 and 1894, and used the Bushnell Banner 6-24X40. It could not compensate for the initial shooting at 300 yards but it was easy to compensate with the Mil Dot reticle. Fun shooting that distance and beyond. You could almost take a bite from a sandwich in the time it takes the bullet to get down range!
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Hmmm... that is a pretty good distance out. One of the first considerations that comes to mind is finding a scope that has the adjustment range to handle in excess of 200" of drop. Might need a scope with a "Mil Dot" reticle to do the compensation. About 7 years ago I did quite a bit of bullet stability test with the Marlin rifles chambered in 44 Mag, both the 336 and 1894, and used the Bushnell Banner 6-24X40. It could not compensate for the initial shooting at 300 yards but it was easy to compensate with the Mil Dot reticle. Fun shooting that distance and beyond. You could almost take a bite from a sandwich in the time it takes the bullet to get down range!
Ok so as I said I know nothing about scopes and with one eye no depth perception either. So let me be a bit more reasonable then say 100 yards to 150 yards as max. I really don't see me shooting much in reality over 100 yards with more than likely inside that.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:Ok so as I said I know nothing about scopes and with one eye no depth perception either. So let me be a bit more reasonable then say 100 yards to 150 yards as max. I really don't see me shooting much in reality over 100 yards with more than likely inside that.
Oh, in that case the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32. At least no doubt in my mind as I consider this one of the best all around rifle scopes that I have shot. I use with Weaver Medium Quad Lock rings. I own over three dozen of these scopes and have shot them 15 years without any failures or issues.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

the bushnell banner scopes are great for the money hard to beat
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:Ok so as I said I know nothing about scopes and with one eye no depth perception either. So let me be a bit more reasonable then say 100 yards to 150 yards as max. I really don't see me shooting much in reality over 100 yards with more than likely inside that.
Oh, in that case the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32. At least no doubt in my mind as I consider this one of the best all around rifle scopes that I have shot. I use with Weaver Medium Quad Lock rings. I own over three dozen of these scopes and have shot them 15 years without any failures or issues.
Thanks RD, my grandson in law had one on his rifle that he recently sold and plans on put one like it on his next rifle, if and when he gets another.
Joe