Would you buy?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
dandgrod

Would you buy?

Post by dandgrod »

So, a coworker of mine bought himself a new rifle and wants to sell his Rio Grande RG3030B. I don't think he shot it much only because this guy owns more rifles and pistols then anyone else I know combined. I've shot this rifle at the range and it cycles great but the sights were shooting high. He is asking $300 for the rifle. I've only every owned pistols and this would be my first rifle. I've always wanted a lever action rifle but I don't want to jump into something I would regret later.

Please, any suggestions? Is this a good price for a used Rio Grande?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Would you buy?

Post by akuser47 »

If it is in good shape i would buy it
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

If it cycled for you at the range and it feels good I agree with AK I would buy it. +1
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another vote for "Yes" in that you have shot it at the range yourself. That is $100 less than they are selling here on the rack and you have had your hands on this one so I don't see how you could loose.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

A tentative YES if you've taken full advantage of the opportunity to thoroughly inspect & function test the firearm.

Then in context of the results of the above inspection answer the acid test question: Considering my usage profile will this firearm stand the test of time without incurring major investments in USPS or the courier companies if I need parts cause most small parts are not to date forthcoming from this manufacturer? +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dandgrod

Post by dandgrod »

Looks like he is going to let me shoot it again this weekend. Can anyone tell me what areas I should really inspect?

Thanks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The RGs seem to be relatively problem free. The most noted issues seem to be:
  • Scratched brass
  • Hammer leaning to one side
  • Canted bolt
The scratched brass can be solved with a little polishing of parts but the other two would need to be returned.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:The RGs seem to be relatively problem free. The most noted issues seem to be:
  • Scratched brass
  • Hammer leaning to one side
  • Canted bolt
The scratched brass can be solved with a little polishing of parts but the other two would need to be returned.
I don't know about the RGs GTG plurality but I will testify for the defence that MY RG other than having enough cosmoline in the receiver to tar an outhouse roof took very little spiffing to become a smooth, accurate levergun dream machine.

The Rossi toolbox was opened a coupla hours at the most for that tune up......a motivated 6-year old could strip & reassemble a RG which is based (close copy) on the Marlin 336 in 20 minutes.

John Browning was a genius. John Marlin was as well but also realized that most of the rest of us aren't & designed his rifle accordingly. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I think the price is fair if it is the gun you want.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

The only problems that I have read about with the Rio's is the ejector and extractor. I had the ejector break in my 30-30 a while back. So I got the marlin 336 parts to replace it and the extractor in that gun and also in my 45-70. One part is $12 and the other is $13 so it's not a big investment at all. After "touching" the edges and sides with a small file, they fit perfectly, and are much stronger parts than the Rossi parts were.

And for a slightly lighter trigger pull, replace the hammer spring with one from the Marlin ($12).
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70