24" Oct .357 on the Way! - some advice requested

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
huckleberg

Re: 24" Oct .357 on the Way! - some advice requested

Post by huckleberg »

donhuff wrote:Doing it with the snap caps will take forever and I bet you give up before you get there. While I'm not sayings its a bad thing, just not really necessary. And then reclean and relube and it will feel like a different gun.

you are prolly right, i will prolly run the snapcaps thru a few times to get a feel for the trigger then just shuck it to break it in ... also testing with the snapcaps should help me id any early problems (not that i am expecting any)
huckleberg

Post by huckleberg »

OH! I keep forgetting to ask ...

Am I reading it right that on the 24" oct barrel blued .357 the front sight dovetail is 3/8" (.375") while the rear sight dovetail is .390"? Orrrr???? :?
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

You asked about sighting. I have a clone to your gun. I put a Lyman 17A front sight on it and a Marbles tang sight. I am delighted! It will do 2-3" at 100 m from sandbags. Plenty good for the cowboy silhouette game where I'm shooting from my hind legs.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The other thing about snap caps is they are a consumable and the rougher the handling / more sharp edges and harder they get hit by the firing pins the sooner they are consumed.

I just trashed a batch of Azoom .357 caps as the Ruger GP100 I was using them in was apparently hitting them hard enough with the firing pin that it was pulling the rims off. I've got a set of 9mms that still work but have mostly scraped off the anodize on the rims and the front of the 'case'.

The old Pachmyer plastic caps with the spring loaded brass pellet where the primer should be always cratered eventually after a few dozen hits. Eventually they no longer intercept the firing pin. Trashed a set of .45 ACPs and a set of 9mms that way.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I always make my own loaded with the bullet of my favorite loading and the I press and glue solid rubber into the case seat bullet the fill primer pocket in the same it holds up well and when it fails I just reset rubber compound it has to cure but has served me well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!